Chapter ~ 3# ~ Family Tree

Ethan ~ POV

I could understand why Noah looked shell shocked standing there. People would be that way when they learn about this. Most people don't know their family history, yet this building has hallways full of mine, not to mention the basements. I usually don't announce my last name on tours. My family history can cause trouble.

"Wow... so your entire family are just badasses?" That got a chuckle out of me.

"Yup... our family has a lot of history under its belt." I pointed out as we walked through the halls.

"So, what else do you know about the town?" Noah asked as we walked back to the museum.

"Depends what you want to know. If you're into ghost hunting, there's an abandoned mining town not far." I began listing things off randomly.

"If you're into camping there's Sterlin Basin a few miles away. Some try to go treasure hunting for cowboy gold there," I said without thinking and regretted it immediately.

Looking back, I saw the classic raised eyebrow I get from most people who learn about.

"What?" Noah asked as he walked around to the other side of the see-through display.

I grab some of the cleaning supplies under the receptionist's desk.

"Guess you haven't heard about Thomas Edwards Fortune." I joked as I walked over to a sword display and sprayed the glass down.

"What's that?" Noah asked as he appeared on the other side of the display.

I couldn't help but smirk as he looked at me through the glass. Then, I moved to another collection and began wiping it down. I always hated telling this. Mostly because people think the treasure is real. Some have even trespassed onto my grandpa's property trying to find it.

"It's an urban legend around here. Some records say that my five times great grandpa was a secret society member. Fearing the group grew too big, he took the group's fortune and hid it out in the wild west. Though that's the basis of the legend. There's no concrete evidence to support it other than a few old pieces of paper." I moved over to a display of some recently recovered documents in the area.

As I cleaned the case, I heard a familiar voice.

"Ethan!... Who's up there with ya?" A rough older voice yelled out.

Noah and I looked over to a doorway behind the receptionist desk; that led down into the basement of the building.

"I swear if it's more of...." He stopped when he saw it was just Noah and me.

I turned to grandpa, who had stomped up the stairs carrying a large saber, and stared at us. Then, I looked at Noah, who was surprised, and seemed a little scared.

"Grandpa, this is Noah... his mom's...." I stopped when grandpa walked over and stood next to us.

Grandpa looked at Noah intently. His eyes squinted as if examining a new artifact for display.

"Oh... your Grenchins kid... nice to finally meet ya." Grandpa smiled and lowered the sword and held out his unarmed hand.

I laughed a little as I watched Noah take hold of my grandpa's hand like a timid puppy. Before he got shaken like a bottle of soda. Grandpa may be old, but this man will make you see hell as heaven if you ever piss him off. I should know, since I've pissed him off too many times to count. So watching an old man shake a city kid like he was on a jackhammer made me laugh.