Chapter ~ 18# ~ Old Wounds

Noah ~ POV

Walking into the cabin, I was surprised. The aged wood exterior and rusted metal roof hid the modern equipment well. Wires dangled from one corner of the top leading to what I guess was the solar generator. From there, small cables lead to what looked like a portable cooler. Another set of wires ran to a rather impressive laptop. Off the main room was a doorway that led to what I guess was the father and son's shared makeshift bedroom. I watched as Ethan looked around the room. Mr. Davis placed the chopped wood he had been carrying into a corner on the other side of the cabin. It looked like they had been using a wood-burning camp stove for cooking their meals. Guess they didn't want to drain the generator since it's running everything else.

"Sorry, we can't offer much...." Mr. Davis joked as we stood in the small cabin.

"How... Did you guys?" Nathaniel asked as he looked between Ethan and me.

"Robotics club mentioned you had a generator. Figured the only reason you would have one is if you go off-grid." Ethan said simply that it wasn't a big deal that we had found their hiding spot.

Mr. Davis chuckled as Nathaniel looked down to the floor, guilty.

"What was your plan? Keep running?" Ethan asked as he looked directly at Mr. Davis, who didn't seem to be paying attention.

The room went quiet for a moment. Ethan walked over towards Mr. Davis.

"You know that problems don't disappear because you run away." The way Ethan spoke sent a chill down my spine.

It sounded like he was speaking from experience. Mr. Davis looked up to Ethan, his eyes watery as if he was holding back tears.

"You don't know what you're talking about...." Mr. Davis said as he turned and looked back to the dinner, he was cooking.

"I'm guessing she wasn't normal... from how she fought. She was a police officer too." I noticed Mr. Davis's eyes widened for a second.

Guessing his silence was a yes to what Ethan meant.

"Mom's always had a temper...." Nathaniel said jokingly though the smile he gave was a weak one.

"So what happened...." I asked Nathaniel since Mr. Davis was not in a mood to talk.

Nathaniel glanced at me as he hugged himself.

"Truth be told, I always knew something was wrong with... her. Whenever I came home from school, I'd hear her screaming over the phone. So I would keep quiet... doing everything I can to stay out of her line of sight." Nathaniel said as he held back tears.

I could see he remembered everything. I honestly felt sorry for him; after all, I know what an overbearing parent is like. But having an abusive one is a different story. I was about to ask another question when I heard Mr. Davis speak.

"Megan was a cadet... fresh out of the academy. Honestly, the first few years were like a dream... But slowly, things started changing...."

Mr. Davis stopped; he was overwhelmed with emotions as he spoke.

"It hurts, doesn't it... when the loved one turns against you. Remember how that person first swung and caught you off guard. Even though the yelling and shouting, you never saw the fist coming. And even if you did, you didn't think it was real. Not until it felt the weight behind it as it hit across your cheek and eye. You huddle into a ball to try and protect yourself, but that doesn't stop them. It doesn't stop the things they pick up; belts, purses; they lock you away from others you love. Those few inches feel like miles and walls standing between you and the phone." I froze as I heard Ethan say all that.