Chapter 4: Secret Motives

"This is so BORING!! Why aren't you killing?!" No one answers the bear's outburst. He then grins, "Ah! Of course! I know what you're missing! A motive!" The 18 of us look at each other. With his dramatic exclamation, Monokuma pulls out a stack of cards.

"A...motive?" The Ultimate Photographer asks. "Yep yep! Each of these cards has a dark secret of one of your classmates on it. It's up to you to figure out who's you have. Will people here kill to keep their secret hidden? We'll see Upupupu!" And with that he vanished, leaving a card in front of each of us. I pick up the card placed in front of me, knowing damn well that someone has my secret. I bite my lip, knowing exactly which secret Monokuma plans to try and get me to commit murder. A memory I wish I could forget...

Flashback- TW!

"M/n! Let's go surfing!"

I glance at my younger brother.

"I really don't want to surf today B/n." (A/n: Brother's name)

"Come on! Please M/n?"

"No."

"You know what? I hate you! I'm going alone."

He ran off. Grabbing his own surfboard in the process. Not even 10 minutes later I heard it.

"M/N!! HELP ME!"

I drop my phone, running outside to where I heard my brother's plea. That's when I saw him. He was desperately crawling towards me, trying to escape the water. I rush towards him. His leg was hanging on by a thread, all there was, was a bloody mess.

"Fuck fuck fuck!"

I scramble, unsure what to do. Through his screams and sobs, I can make out that he is telling me there's a shark but that was the least of my worries.

That is, until the shark attacked again, rendering me immobile by biting my back and damaging my spine. The shark drug my brother away. My only trace of him was his detached leg that held the identical tattoo on his ankle that I had on mine.

If only I had gotten there in time. He wouldn't have bled out in my arms. The shark also wouldn't have bit me either.

The nurse shows me a mirror that reflects my back.

"That's a big scar. It's miraculous you even survived a Mako that big."

I keep my eyes on the mirror, not answering the nurse when she asked me whose leg I was holding when paramedics arrived.

Flashback End

Shaking away the painful memories. I open the card. Freezing when I look at the single sentence on the card.

-This Ultimate Murdered both of their parents and framed it as an accident. -

I glance around at everyone who was reading their cards. I look back at the one in my hands, scanning it for any clues as to who's secret this is. My face stoic as I read the secret over again. 'Someone here has already killed. Would they kill again?' Sighing, I put the card in my pocket to look at later.

I get up, leaving the restaurant. Heading back to my cabin, I grab a candle and one of my lighters off my desk. I head out to the beach, the sun setting. I place the candle in front of me as I sit in the sand. I keep rereading the motive. Over and over again.

I hear footsteps approaching, turning my head to see who it is. My eyes locking on teary pink ones. I frown in concern, "Sou-" I am cut off by the male sobbing into his sleeve. I gently tug on his jumpsuit, pulling him down into a sitting position. "Soda. I get you're anxious, but you aren't alone, okay?" Said male just sniffs. I pull him onto my lap in an embrace. He latches onto me, his body shaking. I notice the smaller make smells faintly of machine oil and coffee, the combination pairing oddly well.