Chapter 14: Infectious Despair

A/N: I'm so sorry! I've had to prepare for this really difficult exam (and take it) so I have been super busy. I am so brain dead and couldn't think of a preface to the next murder so you're stuck with this one. The next chapter should be soon and will immediately go into the next death.
3rd Person POV:

Gasps rang throughout the room. The new motive was just changing some personalities? It seemed pretty tame, for Monokuma at least. At that very moment, Nagito collapsed. Mikan let out a startled yelp before kneeling to check on him. Monokuma did his signature laugh as Hajime demanded answers, "Upupupu! As I said, this is the new motive. Ahem- the DESPAIR DISEASE!"

Monokuma pointed at the three of them in turn, "Nagito, the Liar Disease! Akane, the Coward Disease! M/n, the Violence Disease! Upupupupu! The only way to get them back to normal is to kill!" The rest of the Ultimates exchanged weary glances. Sonia looked at the collapsed lucky student, "Perhaps, we should get them to the hospital?" Hajime looked at Mikan for her opinion seeing as she had a medical background.

With a surprising amount of difficulty, mostly due to M/n not letting anyone touch him (even though he could barely walk on his own), they finally got the three of them to the hospital. 

---Short Time Skip---

Mikan was making sure the three were situated while Hajime talked with Gundham and surprisingly Fuyuhiko while everyone was gathered in the waiting room of the hospital. "Do you think whatever it is they have is contagious?" Gundham put his hand to his chin in thought. Fuyuhiko shrugged, stuffing his hands in his pockets, "Likely, knowing Monokuma."

Soda stepped back, guiding Sonia with him, "Come on Miss Sonia, you  heard what they said, it's contagious!" Fuyuhiko angrily yelled at the mechanic for abandoning them while Hajime went back to the patient rooms.

Hajime pushed open the door to see Nagito seemingly on his death bed. He was only supposed to be a liar, right? Then, why? Why was Nagito being killed slowly? The white-haired male had his eyes closed almost peacefully as he remained motionless in the bed. Hajime neared the next room, finding M/n sitting on the bed in a hospital gown; his legs crossed. His eyes were closed with a serene sense of calm; a stillness that was now foreign to the disease-affected boy.

Well, calm was the perception. If you paid attention, you could see how M/n's hands clenched the scratchy fabric of the hospital gown and how his eyebrow twitched ever so slightly.

Hajime didn't say anything to the surfer, how could he? Neither were in their right mind. It was only a matter of time before someone succumbed to the disease. Fuyuhiko, Hajime, Mikan, and Gundham all stayed quarantined at the hospital while the rest of the students went to the nearby motel to rest.

A loud— and I mean loud— scream woke up the residents of the hospital the next morning. Hajime scrambled off the cot he was sleeping on and sped downstairs, nearly falling in the process. His heart hammered in his chest, someone wouldn't have murdered... right? When the brown haired boy cleared the doorway, he was met with a manic M/n screaming at the top his lungs and throwing furniture.

M/n's eyes were bloodshot and his messy hair stuck out all over the place as if he'd just woken up. But Hajime knew that this behavior was more from lack of sleep— judging by the dark circles apparent under the surfer's e/c eyes. Just as Mikan entered with Fuyuhiko and Gundham, a beep resonated through the empty hallway. Mikan rushed away as quickly as she had entered, leaving the three boys on damage control.

With a determined yet angry scream, M/n hurdled another chair at the linoleum floor, the wood splintered but stubbornly resisted breaking completely. Fuyuhiko stared with his eye wide before jumping forward to attempt to restrain the aggressive M/n. Hajime stood off to the side, murmuring to himself, "He's kind of acting like a more violent Nagito..."

Fuyuhiko snapped his head to face Hajime, "Not. Helping!" Yet as if the situation seemed like I couldn't get any worse, the door opened. Whether seeing an opportunity for escape or perhaps a new victim for his onslaught, M/n lunged for the unlucky soul who opened the door. That soul just so happened to be Ryota Mitarai.

The animator managed to get out out of the way just in time for M/n to book it out the door. Fuyuhiko let out a yell of annoyance, running after the surfer, Gundham quickly following suit. It took hours to find the surfer among the different islands once the two lost sight of him.

"GAAAAAHHHH!!" Found him. Back on the main island where the students first arrived, M/n was seen stalking towards Soda. The mechanic's eyes were blown wide, stumbling backwards in the sand. Fuyuhiko quickly tried to apprehend M/n, struggling against his strength. The way he was acting, it scared them. He seemed...feral.

Just before M/n could wrench himself free again, his eyes rolled back into his head and he crumpled to the ground. Hajime managed to catch up to them just then, shrieking with horror, "YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO KNOCK HIM OUT!" At this point, Hajime would pull out all of his hair out of stress before they escape this island. Gundham lowered his hand to his side and bowed his head talking to the unconscious boy, "My apologies Palaemon..."

Soda, on the other hand let himself fall backwards, gripping the chest area of his jumpsuit, his soul leaving his body in pure terror. Fuyuhiko let out a quiet snicker, smirking, "Heh, Soda screams like a girl."

As if waking the dead, the mechanic sat up quickly, whipping his head towards the surfer to see if he had woken up before yelling at the yakuza, "I DO NOT!"

The group of boys waited around for a while. Soda eventually grabbed a coconut from a nearby tree, using a screwdriver to try and pry it open. Chunks of the shell chip off every so often, effectively annoying Gundham who was seated beside him. The gothic male's hamsters, however, we're enjoying the free snack.

Fuyuhiko had already left and Hajime was watching over the sleeping boy, "Should we carry him?" Soda frantically shook his head, crossing his arms over his body in an X shape, "No way! Do you want him to try and kill us again?!" Gundham closed his heterochromatic eyes, "That was just you, mortal. My barrier protected my Dark Deva's and I from bodily harm with its magnificent power!"

"Okay, we get it edge-lord." Soda huffed, his arms crossed over his chest.

"How DARE YOU—!"

Hajime rubbed the bridge of his nose, his eyes squeezed shut in annoyance before he just got up and left with a grumbling sigh. Soda and Gundham followed suit, leaving the surfer alone beneath the shade of a palm tree in the midday sun.