Chapter 15: All Things Must End

What happened? My mind raced almost erratically. I thought I could hear voices, but that was probably in my head, right? My head hurts. I'm tired too. Everything is numb... cold. I just remember laying my head down on the table during breakfast... What came next?

It's dark, but I swear my eyes are open. I can no longer feel the soft sand beneath my hands or the sun's sweltering heat. It feels like I'm just there. Nothing. When I feel a soft tap on my shoulder the background slowly fades in, but not the person's face. They're saying something. It's hard to hear; too staticky to make out.

His face... no, it's a girl. She's shaking me. "M/n, wake up!" Her voice is so familiar, but when I lift my head to get a better look at her face, the room spins. I clutch my head to alleviate the dizziness with my eyes squeezed tight a moment to prevent nausea.

When I open my eyes, I nearly recoil in shock. "A classroom..." I didn't fall asleep here. I'm sure of it. I let my elbows slide across the cool wood desk as I sit up straight, noticing the uniform I'm wearing. "Is this... Hope's Peak?"

"Huh? Hope's Peak? Did ya hit your head or something M/n?" I look back at the girl, squinting my eyes to try and make out the details of her face. She grabbed my sleeve and hoisted me out of my chair. I stumble trying to keep up with her, "A-Ah! Hina! Wait!" I didn't even realize I said her name. That's right, she is Aoi Asahina. We've been friends since childhood.

Hina smile brightly, her face finally coming into focus. Her sapphire eyes gleamed, "No way, M/n! We're getting doughnuts!" A body suddenly crashed into me from behind, causing Hina to let me go. I fell to the ground with a strangled gasp, surprisingly aware of the pain from the fall.

Tears almost immediately formed in my eyes when I saw who knocked my over. The chipper girl laughed loudly— so loudly my ears hurt— but I didn't care. "What's up M/n? It looks like you saw a ghost!" I looked at Hina to see if I was hallucinating. I wasn't.

Ibuki got up and extended her hand to help me up. I accepted it gratefully, her hand was warm against mine. She is here. She is alive.

Was it all a dream? Was Monokuma a figment of my imagination? No... I'm not that twisted, am I? "Can I invite Hajime as well?" Ibuki and Hina looked at me confused "Who?" I didn't feel like explaining why I wanted to invite someone I wasn't 100% sure was real so shake my head, "Nevermind. Let's just go get those doughnuts."

I hang back with Hina and watch Ibuki run ahead excitedly. Ibuki was running so fast, I was concerned that her guitar strap would break. Hina laughed, shaking her head, "If she isn't more careful with her instrument, she'll never be the Ultimate Musician."

Never? So Ibuki and I aren't Ultimates... maybe becoming one isn't the right choice? The months seemed to fly by and before we knew it, Ibuki and I were at Hope's Peak Academy together.

I shivered as I entered the classroom. It was small and cold. There were only five desks. Shouldn't the classes be bigger? I watched each person come in one at a time. Byakuya, Hiyoko, Peko. Ah... I think I finally understood. If these were the only people here, and they were the ones killed, I can only assume what my fate must've been.

Ironic, really. I fought for Hope and now I'm only consumed by Despair. How could I not see it coming? I thought I was friends with everyone to a degree. I never would've guessed I would be a victim of this killing game.

I glanced around the classroom, my vision slowly fading to black once more. Everything was over. I could have peace at last.