6

Marin looked at me surprised, and then our Pokémon, who had been evesdropping, burst through the front doors and gave us a determined look.

"Din!" "Kirl!"

"Chespie? You want to battle too?" Marin asked her partner. "Quil, ill ill!" It said.

----------

Marin and I stood on a battlefield, not far from the Pokémon Lab. Our respective Pokémon in from of us.

At first Marin had seemed hesitant, but now she looked excited. I smiled. "You can go first, Marin." I told her. She nodded.

"Alright. Chespie. Use Vine Whip." She told her Pokémon. "Quil." It responded and grew vines which instantly lashed out at Kirlia.

My body pulsed and I narrowed my eyes. Kirlia sensed my desire and began to gracefully move about the battlefield. Dodging Quilladin's attack in a beautiful dance.

"Chespie. Try Pin Missile instead." Marin commanded. My body pulsed again, and Kirlia continued dancing. Pin Missile also failed to hit it.

"Kirlia." I said, speaking finally. "Use Magical Leaf, and then aim Shock Wave through it." "What?!" Marin said in shock. I knew that neither move was very effective against a grass type, like Quilladin, but I wanted to try something, and Kirlia didn't hesitate to trust me.

It sent out it's glowing green leaves, and then a Shock Wave. That's when the magic happened. As the electric energy hit the specially charged grass type attack, it changed from a static yellow to a sparkling rainbow hue.

"Whoa." Marin said in awe. Her partner even stared at the gorgeous spectacle, completely ignoring the sharp, now rainbow glowing, leaves hitting it.

"Now! Kirlia! Use Psychic!" I shouted. "Wait! What!" Marin said in shock, but Kirlia had already begun using it's psychic powers, lifting Chespie up, and throwing it into the wall behind Marin. "Now use Magical Leaf!" I cried, making fists as I got really into the battle all of a sudden. My body pulsing at the same time.

Kirlia used Magical Leaf, which made a critical hit, as Chespie hadn't been able to get up yet.

"Chespie!" Marin cried, running over to her Pokémon as the dust settled, revealing it unconscious.

I walked over to her and Chespie, as she was recalling it into it's Pokéball, picking up Kirlia on my way over. To my surprise, however, Marin stood straight up, and quickly grabbed my hand.

"Come on! We have to get to the Pokémon Center!" She told me in a hurried tone, before proceeding to drag me farther away from the Professor's Lab. I figured she wasn't thinking straight, and just decided to follow. She knew this city better than I did after all.

----------

Marin and I made it to the Pokémon Center, and handed Nurse Joy our Pokémon. For a second we were silent, then Marin grabbed onto my arm and looked at me in awe. I blinked. "Marin...?" "That was amazing Kiada!" Where did you learn to battle like that?!"

I blinked again, then gave her a small smile. "Actually, Kirlia and I really enjoy dancing, and Alain showed me a Kalos Pokémon Performance done by Kalos Queen Aria on his phone. It inspired me to try mixing our moves to make you smile while we were battling."

"You see, Kirlia and I really love battling too, so we figured it'd be easier to show you something like that if we did it while using our other passion. We're not anywhere as good as Aria though."

Marin shook her head, still smiling. "I think you we're amazing! You two are really in sync. I bet if you kept training you'd become really strong. Or if you focused on perfecting your Performances they'd be the best ever."

Her smile disappeared, and she looked confused. "But which one do you want to do, Kiada?" I blinked. Which one did I want to do? I... I wasn't sure.

Marin and I waited a little while longer, and then received our Pokémon back from Nurse Joy. I held Kirlia in my arms as we walked back to the Professor's Lab. Along the way, Marin finally realized that we could have headed back there, rather then going to the Pokémon Center. I would have laughed, but I was too lost in thought.

About a block away, Alain came running. He was out of breath and seemed in a slight panic. I realized that he had been looking for us.

I hugged Kirlia a little tighter. "Alain." I said as he opened his mouth to speak. "I want to enter the Pokémon League." His eyes widened, and I dropped my gaze. "But I also want to become a Pokémon Performer." I looked at him again, feeling desperate. "Can I do both?"

I had everyone's attention now. I was pretty sure doing both was unusual, but that's what I wanted to do. I wanted to be the strongest, but I also wanted to make people happy. Was it even an option though?

Alain suddenly smiled. "I'm glad you finally have a dream. You should follow it."

I closed my eyes, smiling. Tears forming in them. "Thank you Alain."