Chapter 5 - The Beginning of a Story

...After I become the best Hunter, I'll come back!!" The spiky-haired kid shouted into the vast blue ocean.

I watched amused as Gon continued to wave his arms in the air, smiling at his home. Suddenly, a burst of mocking laughter came from behind the both of us,

"Best Hunter?" A man's voice said, "he's underestimating the exam."

We both turned around to see all the men on the ship eyeing Gon mockingly.

"Every year, there are millions of applicants for the Hunter exam, yet only a selected few manage to pass. So don't say things you can't back up, kid." Another man continued as the rest of the men started cackling.

I turned to look at Gon who was silent at their remarks. Glaring back at the men I argued back,

"Ah really? Is that so? And what makes you think you'll be the selected few? I'm pretty sure you won't even make it to the exam site. So please, I hope you reconsider your advice."

"Why you petty little gir-" one man said.

"C'mon Gon, talking to them further isn't even worth our time. Let's go somewhere else." I said as I yanked Gon's wrist, dragging the both of us farther away from the group of men.

"Alice, you really didn't have to-"

Putting both my hands on Gon's shoulder,

"No Gon, you should've said something! Don't let anyone talk down on you like that!"

"Was it bad I didn't say anything?" The young boy questioned.

I sighed. "You need to learn about these things more... you could've been a target for trash to waste their time on."

"Oh... Then, thanks for standing up for me."

Giving the young boy a look, I can't help but give him another sigh."That's what friends are for right? No need to thank me, because you should expect more of this from me starting now."

We both exchanged smiles as I ruffled Gon's spiky hair. At that same time, we heard a loud crash coming from underneath the deck, causing both of us to peer at what had caused the disturbance on the balcony.

We witnessed two grown men harassing what seemed like a weaker sailor. As the weaker sailor tried to get up, one of the men kicked him from behind causing the sailor to tumble onto the ground.

"And that is an example of what we just talked about right over there," I pointed at the group of sailors.

Just as I had said that what seemed to be the captain overseeing the ship barged out of the door scolding the sailors for slacking off. In response two of the harassing sailors scrambled off, leaving the weaker sailor, as the weak sailor was about to leave too a voice intervened.

"Hold on!"

I turned to look at Gon who was already underneath the deck, he threw an apple that fell out of the crate towards the weak sailor.

"Thanks!" The sailor said then scurried off.

As I finished descending the last few steps of the stairs leading to the balcony, the seagulls began to caw loudly, resulting in both the captain and Gon reacting to it.

"A storm is coming..." the young boy let out. This caused the captain to be skeptical of the boy.

"How can you tell?

"Because that's what the seagulls are saying... and.." the spiky-haired boy took a whiff of the air, "I can smell it too."

"Smell what now?" I questioned.