Chapter Twenty-Six

Roman 

Renee's face was white as a sheet of paper, it was covered in a thin layer of sweat that caused her forehead to listen. If anyone was to look at her they would immediately believe that she was sick. Whatever was flickering through her mind was causing an inner turmoil. Every time he lips opened and tried to move, there was this hushed grunting noise would escape, however no words seemed to tumble out. 

In all the years that I have met Renee, even the night when she found out about Lewis, doesn't compare to the sheer terror and fear on her face. The main feelings that rushed through my body were about were concern and worry but equally there was this innate sense of curiosity. What was she hiding that was making her respond and act like this. 

"Renee?" I whispered. "Talk to us, we are your best friends, you know we only want to protect you from harm."

She closed her eyes, her lids were tightly clenched. I could see that she was holding back the tears that wanted to break through. Her gasped for air and it was then that words started to escape her lips. 

"It's my family." She whispered. "I told you that I didn't really have any parents and that is true to a certain extent. The people I consider my parents were in fact my maternal grandparents. They were everything to me. I couldn't ask for a better family. I can honestly say if it wasn't for them, then I wouldn't be where I was today." She quietly spoke. 

"Even though I didn't live with my parents, I still knew who they were. My mother was alcohol dependent, as well as a drug user. My dad, well he was a criminal who was in and out of prison. The only one I really had contact with was my mother." She exhaled a deep breath. "My mother was still part of my life when I was a child and social care wasn't what it was back then. One day she fell out with my grandparents and took me to live with her." Renee explained. 

"My grandparents were devastated and very worried. My mother's place was pretty much a crack den. People went in and out the house. I tried to stay in my room but I was scared about the men who would come over. It turns out that my mother was a prostitute. The money she earned paid for her fix. It wasn't until one night." Renee shivered, her gaze was cold and her eyes were empty. "One night my mother overdosed and she still had a client, when I tried to wake her up she was unresponsive. The client was sneering and shouting at my mother like he didn't have the care in the world. I remember him screaming that she had already been paid with the drugs she just did."

"It was then that he decided to use me instead of her." She sobbed. Her shoulders were racking up and down. Her head well into her hands. " I screamed and cried but no one could hear me. I tried to reach for the phone but he picked it up and chucked it at the wall. I don't know how long I laid there but by the time the police did come, my rapist had disappeared." Renee finished. 

There was a heavy silence in the home. I could feel my chest heave up and down. My fists were tightly clenched under the table. I could only look at my best friend and imagine a small Renee huddled up in a ball, knees pressed against her chest as she cried from the pain that no child should go through.

Jack coughed into his hand. My eyes caught him and for the first time there was a flicker of an emotion I had never quite seen from him. It was answer, mixed with pain. He looked as if he too was going to cry. "Do you know who called the police?" Jack croaked. 

"A neighbour." She whispered in between her sobs. 

"I'm guessing Lewis knows this?" Jack questioned. 

"Yes. I struggled with intimacy. I was petrified of having sex. When we first started dating he asked me why I would flinch during intercourse or why sometimes I would blank out and walk away. It wasn't until he showed up in the news that he had raped over twenty minors. It was the first time I remembered his face so clearly. Even if he had aged, his eyes hadn't changed. By the time he made it to court, there were another five people added to the court case. I was one of them." 

"Ree' you know it wasn't your fault right?" I reassured. Her eyes tightly closed and she responded with a nod.  

"What happened to your mother?" Jack queried.

"Well she survived the overdose and the police and social care placed me with my parents. They were given a guardianship over me. My mother continued her life and eventually she had another Overdose and died." She sighed out a deep breath. "And my father, before you ask. I have no idea where he was. He hasn't shown up in my life in a long time." She shook her head. 

"Thank you for telling us Ree'. You know we are always here for you right? I know your grandparents aren't around anymore, but I can imagine how proud they would be of you. You may not have any biological ties left. But we are still your family and always will be." With that I clasp her hand with no intentions to let go.