06

Iola K.

The Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center was exactly what I pictured Ms. Casandra booking for our weekend stay in Dallas. The resort had a full spa which all of us agreed to use at some time during our three-day, two-night stay. On top of that, there was a glass cactus "nightclub", a private water park, plus indoor and outdoor swimming pools. Most likely that would be for Sasha, Fallon, and myself to explore. The three of us waited in the lobby as Ms. Casandra and Sharon spoke with the front desk concierge. The bellhop was able to load our belongings from the GMC Yukon XL sitting outside. Surprisingly, Mr. Tony, Ms. Casandra's husband, and Fallon's father had gifted her one of his trucks for the trip and paid for the stay here at the resort. We still weren't allowed any more than two bags.

While they checked us in and got the keycards for the room's doors, we sat and talked about possible plans during our stay. We weren't too far from the city limits of Dallas and finding something interesting shouldn't be difficult. Fallon had already suggested we could Uber around if we decided to go somewhere off the resort tomorrow night. See? The trip to Dallas had been planned by Ms. Casandra and Sharon before telling us. They had indeed only come to the city for an opera showing on Saturday night at the Winspear Opera House at 5 pm.

"They got some cool museums and there's that illusion place that we always talked about, Sash." Fallon said, scrolling and typing on her phone. I wasn't sure if she was trying to find ideas or texting, but it had her attention.

Sasha looked at me, raising an eyebrow. I suppressed my laugh because I'm sure we're thinking the same thing.

Being I hadn't spent much time with Sasha alone, I couldn't say if we were friends or not, but we clicked easily nonetheless. I had seen her at any family gathering that Fallon's family threw at their home or planned at restaurants. Sasha was older than us by four or five years and had attended TSU also. It was one of the first things that I learned about her. It was also one of our first real conversations alone. Sasha earned her Master's degree in English Education and was planning to get her Doctorate eventually to become a professor at the same college. As for now, she was at a local community college.

"Fal, girl, I ain't going to no museums. I came to get drunk, relax at a pool or some. Maybe even shake this ass," I laughed at Sasha's last sentence, but it was true. Fallon had lost her mind. "Not look at no damn Mona Lisa, bitch."

"Well, I'm just suggesting ideas, whores." Fallon returned, rolling her eyes. She sat her phone down, her eyes going big. "Fuck, I gotta pee, I'll be back. Text me if y'all go to the room!"

Before either of us could respond, Fallon dashed to the nearest restroom. We had already stopped three times during the almost four-hour ride for her to go to a restroom. She blamed it on drinking a gallon of water.

"Yeah her ass must think this a field trip." Sasha said, now looking at her phone. I held my head up, removing my attention from Instagram to see Ms. Sharon walking to us, holding out three keycards.

"Where Fallon lil' self run off to?"

"Lil pissy in the restroom. Y'all got the room situated?" Sasha asked, standing up from the chair the second she saw her mother.

"Yeah, it's on the 7th floor. 706," She looked in the direction of the restrooms, but I shook my head. Taking the key from her hand.

"I'll wait for her. Y'all can go ahead."

"You sure, Lolo?" Sasha asked, but I only nodded in response. I had a bone to pick with my girl anyways and I didn't want her family alarmed.