Epilogue

Iola K.

Nine Months Later

April 14th

Sasha's phone started to ring, interrupting our makeup conversation. She picked it up from the counter and I noticed "Fal🫶🏾" on the screen. I simply turned my head to continue the conversation with Lena and Mya.

I booked Mya as the makeup artist for the bridal crew. Currently, we were trying to see which makeup routine to give the group of ladies. Everyone should be on the same accord for today. I didn't want anything over a full face personally. My lashes were kept up from regular appointments with my lash tech, Kelsey.

"I think the mamas of the group are expecting something natural looking. You know they don't like a lot of makeup." Lena said, most likely speaking regarding our mother.

"That statement is such a contradiction," Mya groaned playfully causing me to nod in approval. "Most "natural looking" faces have a ton of makeup involved. But we'll figure something out."

"Mama ass be trying to beat her face only using concealer. That's why." I replied, speaking to Lena. She and Mya laughed at my honesty because they knew I wasn't lying. Lena opened her mouth to respond, but it was Sasha who caught our attention instead.

"Fal, calm down," Sasha spoke into the phone, sighing as she sat on the couch opposite of me. "Stop crying. I'm trying to understand, but you're talking fast and you're sobbing, boo. Calm down,"

Lena looked over at me and I shrugged at her, not knowing what was happening.

Fallon and I weren't friends, but it didn't mean you were enemies now. I understood her stance on Kofi's background and could see why she felt a way about my relationship with him, especially as my best friend. On top of that how close to home it hit for her family.

Kofi had confined in me that Mama Diane was been the root of Andres and Mr. Newman's fallout. When I asked if the relationship between the two ever turned romantic; he couldn't give me a definite answer. The only thing he could say was, "I know my mama ain't a hoe." Which I never implied and since I knew from that response alone he was becoming defensive, I left it alone. I'm sure Fallon knew nothing about that half of the story anyway. Ms. Casandra surely didn't mention it.

However, Fallon's concerns could have been handled with better care, for the sake of our friendship.

I haven't turned my back on her or Armani, her one-year-old son. Even going the lengths to send baby shower and 1st birthday gifts via Mya and Sasha. In fact, Sasha and I went to the hospital for the birth of Armani in February and it was her first time seeing me in months. My five-month baby bump and six-carat engagement ring were the first changes she and Ms. Casandra noticed.

"Are you serious, Fallon? How do you know this?" There was a pause in the conversation and then Sasha palmed her face in disbelief. "What did the test result say, Fal?... So who the fuck is his daddy, Fallon?"

Mya's sudden gasp of air was followed by an "Oh lord," unfortunately reminded me of the popular TikTok sound, which caused me to laugh. Sasha shot both of us a look before muting the phone. "Hush!"

I threw my hands up in a surrendering gesture and she continued the call. I honestly wanted no parts of the phone call. And surely not any tea from this situation. So, I got on Kofi's Instagram to kill time.

After much reflection on the past two and a half years. I noticed patterns and situations that I allowed. Problems that should've been nipped in the bud when they occurred. Fallon was on that list. Kofi too, but Fallon's issues boiled down to boundaries.