48

Iola K.

Three Months Later

"Are you sure about this?"

Kofi was sitting on a barstool from his kitchen island. We were currently in the den with Bride of Chucky playing on the television as Kevin set up his station for the home call.

What I thought was a joke at first, had been proven to be something he truly desired. After finding the drawing earlier today and opening the front door for Kevin fifteen minutes ago, I officially knew my baby father was every bit serious.

"Yes, mama. I already drew it up." Kofi replied, handing the perfectly sculpted drawing to his tattoo artist.

Kevin laughed at the exchange as he took the picture. I had been trying to stop Kofi since he introduced the two of us. By now the traveling station of his guest was set up. Tattoo gun ready, needles, with different ink lined up. Three different shades of blue in a row. There were gloves and green soap in his reach. While Kofi had two blunts near him and one burning.

"I'm finna cook." Sighing I rubbed my pregnant belly, walking out of the den.

It was almost seven-thirty and I had to get dinner started before UberEats was delivering our food for tonight. I turned on the water in the sink to wash my hands. Deciding on salmon and shrimp with fried rice.

We had everything and it wouldn't take me long to complete the dish. Opening the freezer, I pulled out the frozen shrimp to go with the salmon sitting in the refrigerator. There were five pieces total and I figured that was enough for us and our guest. I wouldn't be surprised if Kobi or Mazi popped up, and if so, there'll be enough for them too.

I was in the middle of prepping my rice when a FaceTime request popped up with Lena's name.

"Hey, boo!" She spoke, her and Khari's smiling faces on the screen. "Hey, TT!"

"Hey, y'all. What y'all doing?"

"Mommy cooking ghetti. And m-my school not open no mo'."

I laughed, seeing the excitement on his face. Lena rolled her eyes, sighing. "I don't know where he going. Must be with mama, 'cause I gotta work." She said, speaking to Khari who simply gave the cutest shrug in response. Clearly, it wasn't his problem.

"Why the school closed?" I asked rinsing my rice for the last time. It had become clear already, but I always had to be extra and good the extra mile.

"That ghetto ass school. DCF closed that shit down around ten this morning. Mind you, I dropped him off after eight thirty. Called they pappy so quick. Go get ya child, my boy," I laughed at her serious, annoyed tone. She was a behavior specialist serving on the local school board's committee. Her daily schedule consisted of going to several schools inside the districts, to work with ASD students and those that received ESE services.

"How are you though? Mama told me y'all talked earlier and she could see your bump forming, honey!"

I was exactly twenty weeks on today and forming the slightest baby bump. Kofi noticed it earlier this week when I got up to get dressed for work. His constant smiling and kisses to my belly had me late to a team meeting.

When I was on FaceTime with my mom earlier, I only had my robe on. And with it being tied, it showcased the baby bump just for her eyes. Right now? I had an oversized TSU sweater on with some pajama pants.