(8/12) Chapter 18 - Worry Writing A Wary World

"Why would you want to do that?" asked the Black Knight.

"Because it is my own decision. Only I can decide where I set up my 'tent.' As a noble, it is my privilege to choose my place of rest!"

"No. I will help you. Set up your tent there, in the distance."

The Black Knight pointed to a clearing with good visibility. It was the perfect spot to spend the night.

But even so, the prince remained stubborn.

He would not budge.

"I have already accepted your outlandish suggestion of setting up a... 'tent.' You should be thankful someone of my status listened—"

The arrogant prince felt intimidated as the Black Knight approached him ever so slowly and opened his helm.

In the prince's eyes an exact replica of his own face was reflected.

---

A normal, relaxing day where nothing happens. A train where I just stand and wait for my station, occasionally offer up my seat to the elderly and spend my time with people who haven't had enough time to eat breakfast or freshen up...

What a beautiful start to the day.

"Yo', Kiyotaka!"

Well, it would've been relaxing if it weren't for a certain energetic and cheery girl next to me. Sure, I would have liked to get lost in my own thoughts, but I've already had my cake.

And besides, I enjoyed her company. Though she could be rather exhausting at times.

"Hey, Mimimi."

"As gloomy as ever, eh?"

"Do I really appear that gloomy to you?"

Mimimi absentmindedly stared into the air before answering, "I mean, kinda, I guess?" She shrugged nonchalantly.

"Anyway, there's something I wanted to ask you," she said, peering at my face.

"And that would be?"

"What are we, or specifically you, gonna do about Takahiro?"

I'd already expected that question. Both Nakamura and Takahiro practically vanished the day after the math test. To add to that, they messaged us saying they'd be sick. Nakamura went a step further and announced to Takei of all people he'd be gone all week. Anyone with half a mind could have guessed they weren't actually sick. Their disappearance was far too convenient. But that begs the question of what really happened to them.

Was it because of a bad grade on a math test? I did see the two of them distressed after witnessing the results, though I wasn't too aware of their academic performances in school so far.

Was it because of something else? Nakamura had a rather difficult relationship with his parents, so that was definitely a possibility up to debate.

Did the same apply to Takahiro? Did he also have an "unpleasant" family situation?

We didn't know. They would have to tell us themselves.

"I'm not yet ready to grasp at straws. There's an idea forming in my head."

But even if you didn't know anything, there were still things to be done. You could always do something, no matter how bleak your situation. That was one of my fundamental principles which had gotten me this far.