Chapter 41 - Aloof Ambitions Abandoning The Act

The prince was taken aback by the Black Knight's words. "Discarded myself? What do you mean?"

The Black Knight coughed, blood trickling from the corners of his mouth. "When I say 'yourself,' I mean your true self. The part of you that is free from the expectations of others. The part of you that makes decisions based on what you truly believe, not what others tell you to believe."

The prince felt a pang of guilt. He realized that he had been living his life according to the expectations of his family and his kingdom. He had never really thought about what he wanted for himself.

The Black Knight smiled weakly. "You need... to... find your way..."

And with those words, the Black Knight took his last breath.

---

"Are you going to be the anchor for our group in the 1200 meter relay race, Kiyotaka?" Takahiro asked me, his voice full of expectations. Though I would have to disappoint him in the future, now wasn't the time to tell him that.

"I don't know," I answered nonchalantly, looking at the rest of our group. Each of them wore bright smiles on their faces. I assumed their amusement stemmed from the fact that we had won all of our group competitions so far—the relay race being the last one remaining.

"Wow. You. Sound. So. Excited." Takahiro recited his words like a text-to-speech program.

I decided to ignore him. Indulging Takahiro in his teasing games would only result in my downfall—it was the one area I keep getting beaten at.

"Well, let's hope that no one exceptionally good turns up. I'll be cheering you on for our group's sake."

"I'll do my best not to come in last, then," I replied.

"You'd only come in last if you wanted to," he said.

With that last comment of his, our group headed to the track with the rest of the students. During our captain's meetings, we had decided to do an inter-grade relay race. Basically, all grades competed against each other. All boundaries had been removed.

The last event of the sports festival, the 1200-meter relay, was about to begin. Everyone—teachers and "parents" included—were amped.

"The final event, huh? This one's going to be good. I can feel it," Takahiro said.

"Huh...! Puh...! Hey, sorry to keep you all waiting! What's going on?" Takei had finally come back after his extended absence from our group. I could guess what he had been doing, but I lacked the interest to ask.

"Takei, how were those last few sandwiches?" Takahiro asked, no emotion visible in his voice.

"Yeah... sorry. My bad," Takei laughed awkwardly and scratched the back of his head. "I, uh, ate a lot... and then had to take a dump. It took way longer than I thought and..."

"Alright, alright. We get it." Takahiro waved his hands, dismissing any traumatizing words that may have come out of Takei's mouth. "I'm just glad you're back."

Takei looked as if he was in a bright, cheerful mood—all smiles. Many students in our group had become attached to his aloof nature and upbeat personality, so everyone was looking at him with smiles, too.

"Guys!" Takei said loudly, getting everyone ready for another one of his declarations. "The relay race is next! Even though we've won all the other group competitions, we can't get conceited! They can still turn this thing around!"