Chapter 2: Battle of the Jadeites (part 1)

After thanking Catherine back inside the adventurers' guild, Aresu decided to make his way toward the so-called "Battle of the Ages" to learn more about the world's abilities. The coliseum, where the battle was to take place, was one of the grander buildings in the heart of the city's middle district.

As he hesitantly strolled towards the coliseum, his heart raced with anticipation. A sudden commotion nearby caught his attention.

??? 1: Oi, what do you take us for, fools.

Little girl: No, I swear I didn't mean anything by it, I was just passing by and...

??? 2: Don't backtalk the captain, girly.

??? 3: Unless you want a big beatin', ain't that right, Minnamorg?

Minnamorg: I ain't given you permission to use my name, Doublish. Remember who's got the higher rank.

Aresu watched as three figures harassed a little girl. It struck a chord within him, evoking a sense of brotherly protection for the girl, who looked oddly familiar yet different, sharing similar characteristics with his younger sister back in Japan: short blond hair, blue eyes, freckles, and, of course, human.

Aresu: Hey, why don't you three pick on someone else? She's just a little girl. Show at least a bit of compassion, will you?

Doublish: Hear that, boss? He thinks he can handle himself against a man of your prestige. Ain't that right, Jinn?

Jinn: That's right, Doublish. I think he needs to be taught a lesson by the legendary Diamond-class warrior. Besides, he's just a bronze. What can he do to us, make us laugh and cry to death in embarrassment for beating such a weakling?

The three adventurers slowly closed in on Aresu, who couldn't help but feel a wave of nervousness washing over him.

???: Now, now, is this the way we treat new adventurers, gentlemen, or should I say, the sinister three?

A man dressed entirely in black emerged from the shadows. His eyes glowed with a vibrant purple, and his smile, baring his teeth, shone brightly in the dim sunlight filtering through. His spiky black hairstyle exuded an air of casual menace as he brushed his hand through it while laughing.

Minnamorg: It can't be... Lord Orimund?

Orimund: Pleasure to meet you, boys. Now, quick question, which one of you wants to die first? The first to let out a scream of agony gets the prize of a quicker death. I'm sure a diamond and two golds could hold out for a few seconds.

He slowly unsheathed his sword, which emitted a black flame. The moment the sword was fully unsheathed, the atmosphere grew heavier, and the air became more difficult to breathe. Being in his presence alone was enough to make a grown man cower in fear.

Minnamorg: Let's get out of here quickly before we become shish kebabs.

Jinn: Ain't gotta tell me twice.

The three thugs hastily retreated, leaving Aresu and the little girl on their knees. Orimund then sheathed his weapon, slightly lightening the oppressive atmosphere.

Orimund: God, I hate these assholes. They think they run the joint just because they have someone in the Diamond rank. Can't wait until they experience real hell out there. As for you two, young lad, that took guts, a bronze challenging a diamond. But nonetheless, that was reckless. You need to be more careful about who you challenge, even if it is for the right reason. And for you, young one, please be more careful about who you accidentally bump into next time. I know you're a commoner trying to make a living by pickpocketing those of higher status, but it just isn't worth the trouble. Try taking on some quests at the guild.

Still in shock from the recent encounter:

Aresu: Y-Yes, sir.

Little girl: Und-understood.

Orimund: Well then, enjoy the match, you two. I've got to get ready to whoop Volk's ass into next week.

As Orimund walked away, distant murmurs could be heard.

Orimund: I think he may start...little tank...can't forget about.

After he disappeared into the coliseum, Aresu and the little girl let out a simultaneous sigh of relief.

Aresu & Girl: Phew, that was close.

They laughed for a moment.

Aresu: Man, now that was power.

Little Girl: Tell me about it. I thought I was about to suffocate to death.

Aresu: As did I.

A brief silence followed as they stared at each other.

Aresu: So, you're a commoner who steals from others. Must be rough, although I'm sort of in the same boat. Oh, my name's Aresu, by the way.

Thea: My name's Thea. Pleasure to meet you. As for my past, things haven't been good since my parents passed. I've tried to make a living, but sometimes life hits harder than you expect.

Aresu: How about you join the guild? I mean, I haven't started any quests yet, so if you want to tag along with me, your skill in stealth could be amazing.

Thea: Wait, you mean you don't mind partnering with a thief who could steal or backstab you at any point?

Aresu: I'm not so worried about it. I feel like I can trust you, call it a hunch.

Thea: A hunch, huh?

She blushed slightly.

Announcement: The battle in the coliseum is about to begin. Please take your seats for the event of a lifetime.

Aresu: Shoot, we better hurry before we miss the battle.

Thea: Oh, I don't have a ticket for the event, remember, I'm broke.

Aresu: What if you tried slipping in...

As he trailed off, his eyes caught a sight that made him double-take – two tickets instead of one. A small note nestled between them conveyed the message:

"If you happen to find someone to attend the event with, feel free to give them this ticket. I have to attend to guild matters anyway, didn't anticipate a big turnout, those foolish adventurers. And if, by some stroke of luck, you get to meet Lord Volken in person, please procure his autograph or a memento, be it a piece of his armor or even a droplet of his saliva.

Warm regards, Catherine"

Aresu: Well, would you like the extra ticket?

Thea: Yes, please.

She eagerly snatched the ticket.

Aresu: Great, then let's head inside.