10: Hope Is The Acceptance Of Various Possibilities

Y/n woke up barely breathing, she jolted out of her bed and gasped for breath over and over.

Her chest pained and she felt as if no air was going into her lungs. She fell to her knees, in the process, knocking over her lamp.

She heaved in desperation for air that Y/n felt that never came. The commotion caused Washijo to check on her granddaughter. The sight terrified him.

He hurried to the floor and held her; helping her to steady her breathing. Washijo reached for her nebulizer in her drawer and placed it on her face.

Within minutes she had regained herself and the old man sighed a huge one out of relief

The girl cried as she slapped her hand over her chest. She continued with her deep breaths and took her medication her grandfather organized for her.

He ordered that she stayed home from school and rest. She couldn't really tell him she was fine because in reality, the girl was not.

Y/n stayed in bed and after a couple of hours, she felt fine.

She was thinking about going to school to at least attend the latter half of the day.

It finally clicked on what she could do, but she just had one errand she wanted to make before.

Ushijima did notice the female's absence and was quite curious was to where she was. He had run into Tendou who had said she was sick.

Upon hearing this, he went on with his day. Wakatoshi entered his literature class and headed for his seat.

Since Y/n was absent, he could have finally sat in his beloved seat.

But he was wrong.

As he approached the desk, the chair was missing. The male looked around the classroom, looking to see if it was misplaced but it wasn't.

"The girl with h/c hair took it earlier." His classmate informed him. If Ushijima could remember correctly, his last name was Kitano, "Y/n I believe."

Ushijima looked to the shorter male and furrowed his brows, "L/n is sick."

Kitano shrugged, "I don't know man, but she was here, and she took it."

As the smaller male walked away, Wakatoshi blinked and stood there.

================

"You know, shorty-chan, when you said this was an emergency; I wasn't expecting this."

Oikawa looked at the girl who was half a block away from her school sitting on a school chair.

"You kidnapped a chair?" Oikawa took the time to have his laugh and wipe his eyes.

Y/n stood to her feet and huffed, "Are you gonna help me or not?"

Because Y/n is trying her best to not get physically tired, carrying a chair will contribute to that, hence the extra help.

Y/n explained her situation to the brunet, stating why stealing the chair was important and crucial to her. As they talked, she was tired of all of the questions and topics revolving around her, so she decided to ask one of her own.

"How's the girlfriend?" questioned Y/n, one he snorted at the mention.

Tooru shook his head as he repositioned the chair better in his hold, " There is no girlfriend."

"Boyfriend?" Y/n asked, merely as a joke to tease the male but the way he acted after that mention, the girl didn't think it was a joke anymore, "Oh my God, There's a boyfriend?!"

"Shhhh!" The male's eyes widened with her loudness, "If I tell you, would you please be quiet?!" he whisper shouted in which Y/n eagerly nodded to.

"There's a guy I have my eye on, but I don't know if he feels the same." Y/n noticed his face got slightly red at the mention.

"You're blushing, Flattykawa." Y/n swooned with a laugh, teasing the male a bit, "I bet it's that number four on your team."

Oikawa eyes widened once more on how quick she figured it out, "How did you-?"

"Oh please, Flattykawa." Y/n interrupted as she shook her head, "You don't think I'm that stupid, do you?"

"Well-"

"Don't answer that!" She said before he finished because she practically smelled his answer. Oikawa laughed at the girl as she continued, "I've seen you both at practice matches." Y/n smirked which earned a groan from the male.

Before it got even more embarrassing for him, the brunet decided to change the topic, "Not that I mind helping you, shorty-chan but why do you need help carrying this?" Oikawa asked.

"Y/n!"

Both pair of eyes looked across the street to see Mrs. Keio, Y/n's lovely 78-year-old neighbor.

"Carry this upstairs in my room, I'll be right there." The male nodded with a understanding smile.

The h/c haired girl walked to the lovely neighbour of hers and chatted with her for some time. As they did so, Y/n heard a crash that came from her house.

Thinking Oikawa was injured or something way worse, Y/n ran to her house. She looked all over her house, finishing the search up in her room.

There Oikawa was cleaning up books off the floor. It had seemed her bookshelf had reached its time and broke. The top shelf had snapped, and the rest went tumbling down.

She did have it for years now.

"Is there a place I can put these, shorty-chan?" The brunet questioned while stacking up her novels.

Y/n said nothing as she panted and there it was. That feeling of no air entering her lungs. She heaved once more for air, this time it felt worse than this morning.

She fell to her knees, gasping and crying for air.

"Y/n!" Immediately, Oikawa was at her side in trying to help her.

The male held her hand in which Y/n squeezed in pain. Oikawa hissed at her grip but spotted the nebulizer on her bed which he scrambled for.

He assisted in putting it on her and he saw that she wasn't suffocating anymore.

As she steadied her breathing, she leaned on Oikawa, and they sat there for several minutes on the floor.

"I have pulmonary fibrosis." Y/n admitted, Oikawa frowned as he looked to her as she spoke, "That's when you have a damaged or scarred lungs, so it gets really hard to breathe. I lived past the life expectancy which is around seven."

"What about lung transplant?" He asked the girl who just shook her head in response.

"There was never a match for me." Y/n then sighed; she couldn't stand to see Oikawa's face at the moment, so she kept her gaze on her fiddling fingers. "My time is coming to an end and it's coming sooner than I thought."

There was nothing left to say so Tooru just hugged her. He consoled her as she cried, a few escaping from his eyes too as a new friendship he wanted to last a lifetime had no chance of reaching that far.