Chapter Six

Kono smiles "I'm Listening"

Later that day Steve and Lila are back at his house going over the information that they have so far when Danny walks in carrying a box "Yo. Just spoke to Chin, he's setting up the meet with sang Min, I got the surveillance equipment you asked for"

Steve and Lila are looking at a picture on a laptop and Steve looks over at Danny "You recognize this guy?"

Danny shakes his head "No. who is it?"

"Jovan Etienne... The file says he worked for the Russians as a computer programmer in SVR. He was here when my father was murdered. We found his palm prints in the study and partial boot prints in here"

Danny looks at him "wait a minute how do you know the boot prints didn't belong to Hesse?" Steve looks back at him "Hesse wears a size 11 like me except double-E, the prints Lila found were smaller, and Hesse gets his footwear custom made. Direct-injected polyurethane mid-sole, with a nitrile rubber outsole"

Danny looks at him "Oh" the look on her brother's face makes Lila burst out laughing, they both turn to her and she shrugs "what? Sorry just the look on Danny's face, it was funny"

Danny shakes his head at his sister and turns back to Steve "your, uh, brain must be a miserable place"

Danny turns and starts walking towards the Kitchen "I need a beer"

Lila smirks at her boyfriend "God my brother is so funny sometimes"

***

Down at the beach behind the house, Lila is sitting in one of the chairs just flat out staring at her boyfriend while he puts his shirt back on talking to Danny "you ever gonna tell me what Danno means?"

Danny looks at Steve "yeah when you tell me what's in the box"

Danny is giving his sister a weird look but she just smirks and shrugs "What? I can't help that the man's attractive"

Danny gives her a look "I think you were drooling a little bit there Lila"

Lila laughs rolling her eyes "shut up Daniel I was not."

Then Steve walks over joining the two of them, "truth is, I don't know yet."

When Steve sits in the other chair Lila gets up from her spot so Danny can have a seat and she sits on the ground in front of Steve "all I know is that my father wanted me to find it, right now it's just a puzzle"

Danny doesn't even take the seat that Lila so kindly gave up for him he looks back at the two "you know me and Grace we like puzzles."

Lila smiles at her brother "you're a good father little brother."

Danny sighs "yeah, maybe, I don't know, you know? There are three ways of looking it, One: could get myself killed chasing after some meth head scumbag and then what kind of father would I be?"

Steve looks at him "I always looked up to my father for that, you know the sacrifices he made, I'm sure Grace will feel the same way."

Lila smiles at her boys having a talk and not being sarcastic with one another but boy is she dreading when Danny finds out that Steve is her boyfriend... she knows that is not gonna be a fun conversation to have.

Danny finally sits down "Yeah, maybe or she may think I'm just a selfish son of a bitch... you the truth is this is all I got, I need this. I want to do what I'm good at, I want to be reminded that I am good at what I do, if that means having to put up with your twisted belief that you are never wrong, so be it."

Lila chuckles "wow boys will certainly be boys, but hey that was a start."

Steve smiles down at his girlfriend before ruffling her hair she rolls her eyes but ends up smiling as she looks at her brother "what was the third?"

Danny sighs "Well even if I tell myself this isn't permanent, it's Gracie's home now, it's my job to keep it safe" Lila smiles as she leans back on Steve's legs watching the waves roll in.

Danny has noticed the behavior between Steve and his sister, he noticed that they have some kind of dynamic going on and he really doesn't know how he feels about it but he has also noticed that his sister looks happy.

Steve's phone rings interrupting the conversation. He answers it and listens for a minute "good work" then he hangs the phone up and Danny looks at his new partner "What do you got?"

Steve nudges his girlfriend to tell her to get up, Lila stands up and brushes the sand off of her as Steve answers Danny's question "That was Chin, Sang Min bought the pitch and will meet Kono tomorrow morning"

Danny nods at the information "Alright there's still no guarantee that he's going to tell us where Hesse is"

Steve looks at him "He has to, this is the only chance I have of finding the man that killed my father"

***

Later that night after Danny left Steve was up pacing the floor so Lila stepped in front of him to make him stop and she makes him look at her by grabbing his face "Hey, stop worrying so much babe, we are going to get Victor Hesse and he is going to pay for what he did, you will make sure of that and don't worry about tomorrow from what I've seen so far Kono can handle herself"

He smiles down at her "how do you always know exactly what to say?"

Lila looks up at him with a smile "Because I know you, probably better than you know yourself"

He smiles back down at her "What would I do without you?"

Lila smiles and gives a little nonchalant shrug "crash and burn" before pulling him into a kiss.

***
There was a little Supernatural reference in this XD can you guys spot it? It was too good not to use the reference in that particular part of the chapter.