Chapter Nine

The three of them are on their way to the crime scene Steve is driving with Danny in the passenger seat and like usual Lila is in the back and Steve is explaining what the case is about to them "Kidnapping victim's Roland Lowry. His car was t-boned an hour ago. Gunshots were exchanged passengers were killed. This happened in broad daylight"

Lila leans up between the seats putting her input in "Broad daylight? If I was gonna kidnap somebody I wouldn't do it where there were witnesses"

Danny looks over at Steve "well, that seems like a pretty messy grab, just to yank an ordinary guy off the streets"

Steve looks at Danny "this guy's not ordinary, Lowry's ex NSA. Used to have top-secret security clearance"

Lila looks at them "and you know what that means boys? his abduction could be a serious threat to national security"

Danny nods looking at Steve "Right, what else did the governor say?"

"She said find him"

A few minutes later they pull up to the crash site.

Chin and Kono walk over with Chin looking at Steve "Hey I got your message"

Steve nods "good, come on let's start processing"

They walk under the crime scene tape "Governor's task force we'll take it from here"

"Chin, Kono stay on the SUV. Danny, Lila and I are on the van" Chin and Kono walk over to the SUV and Danny, Steve and Lila walk towards the van to start processing.

Steve picks up a shell casing from the ground "SS-190 armor-piercing rounds" Steve and Lila say at the same time, sometimes they work on the same wavelength and their train of thought heads in the same direction.

Steve looks at them and then back at the casing "these guys are definitely well-backed"

Danny climbs into the van "definitely not a local job"

Lila walks around to the other side of the van trying to see what I can find out as Steve and Danny keep talking "what do you got?"

"This van was reported stolen two days ago"

Lila looks at Steve and Danny "I'm gonna go and help Kono with the SUV, saw Chin going towards the traffic cam, probably gonna try and pull the footage" Steve nods.

Lila walks over to Kono "Hey, thought you could use a hand, it's a lot to do by yourself"

She smiles "thanks Lila, Chin went to pull the security footage"

Lila nods "yeah that's what I figured" Kono looks at her "and here is Roland's cell let's see what his last call was" Kono gets into the phone and they see that the time of his last call and that it was his son. Kono and Lila rejoin Steve and Danny as she tells them what we found "Rolands last call was at 6:15 AM"

Danny looks at them "same time he was abducted, who did he call?" Kono looks at Danny "His son, Evan" Steve and Lila share a look "we got a witness" Danny looks between the two with a look in his eye that says he knows something is going on but he doesn't know what it is yet.

They had Evan brought to the Palace to see what he knows about his father's abduction. Danny, Steve, and Lila are in front of the kid and Steve is asking him questions "Evan, do you know where your dad was going this morning?"

Evan shakes his head "No. I mean he probably told me but I was only half-listening" the kid sighs "it was some big meeting" Lila smiles at the kid "do you know what this meeting was about?" He shakes his head "look we don't really talk about his work" Steve looks at him "Did your dad ever have any disagreements with anyone? Is there anybody you can think of that would want to hurt your dad?"

Evan shakes his head again "no I'm telling you he was the most boring person you'll ever meet" Danny comes into the conversation now "what about your mom? where is she?"

"She died when I was 7"

"Alright buddy, look, there were two other men with your dad this morning. They were bodyguards, you have any idea why he would hire bodyguards?"

The kid looks at Steve "Seriously?"

Lila crouches down in front of the kid with a smile "listen, kid, we just want to find your dad okay? And to do that we need to know who would want to hurt him" she lays a hand on the kid's knee for a second "it's okay Evan we are going to do everything we can to bring your dad home safe and sound so if you can you need to answer their questions"

He gives her a small smile "okay" Lila stands up looking smugly at the boys. Steve shakes his head at her then he looks back at Evan "how about we take a bit of a break and then get back to the questions?"

Danny stays with Evan as Steve and Lila step away from them for a moment and he smiles at his girlfriend "your amazing... you know that Lila?"

She grins back at him "oh I know.... but you can remind me if you'd like, now go and see what else Evan knows so we can find his dad" Steve walks back over to Danny and Evan as Kono walks up to Lila with a teasing grin "Ohhh Lila what was that about?"

Lila gives her an innocent look "I don't know what you're talking about Kono" She smirks "uh-huh sure you don't.... seriously though you and Steve what is going on between you? Because there is clearly something there you'd have to be blind or oblivious not to see it"

Lila bites her lip for a second "I'll tell you later alright.... but you have to promise to keep what I tell you to yourself, you'll understand why once I tell you what it is" She nods at Lila "alright so we'll hang later and you can tell me all about it"

Lila walks back over to Danny, Steve, and Evan in time to hear the kid "No, I have no clue, I can't believe it. That could have been the last time I ever talk to my dad and I called him a dictator" then a door opens and a woman walks in.

"Evan" and he gets up out of the chair he was sitting in as she walks over to him and hugs him "I'm so sorry"

Kono joins the three of them at the computer table as the woman keeps talking to Evan "are you okay? god, you must have been so scared, I can't even imagine it" then they both take a seat.

Lila is watching the woman thinking 'Who the hell is this woman? I'm getting some bad vibes from her, she may seem concerned but something tells me she isn't as broken up as she seems. I am very good at reading people' Lila took a profiling course while she was in Navy intel just because she wanted to and it helps with reading behavior and body language so she figured it would come in handy.

Steve looks over at her and she gives him a slight nod that you would have to have been looking for it to see and the look in his eyes says he got it and that they would talk about it later.

***
W

ell, here we go chapter nine and part 2 of episode 2.

Now I'm thinking that it'll either be in this episode or the next one that my little plan for how Danny finds out about Steve and Lila happens not entirely sure about that yet but it's coming and it's gonna be a blast to write Danny's reaction.