SEVEN

The Kingdom of Duwa, The Black Territory

The Round-table Room

"How could you all be so stupid?!"

King Edward's fists met the round table and it felt like the entire room vibrated. The tension in the air was so full, it could almost be held by the hands. The room was filled with a livid king, a queen close to tears, the royal advisor, all the knights, all the soldiers on duty for the gate, and Joshua. Almost an hour had gone by and the princess was not back from "stargazing".

"My daughter left the entire kingdom on her horse and none of you fools could stop her?! What is the point of appointing guards and soldiers when the gates to in and out of the castle cannot be guarded properly?!"

At this point, no one dared speak a word. The only person that could get through the king's enraged state was Matthias, the royal advisor, who raised his hand.

"My lord, Joshua speaks of the princess saying she went horse-riding."

The king's eyes darted to the physician. "Why did she tell you she went horse-riding?"

Joshua looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him up. "I asked her about her whereabouts."

"But I saw her leave the feast with you." The queen countered with a broken voice. "She said you were meant to prescribe to her some sleeping potion."

"Yes." All eyes were on the nervous old man. "I told her they were not ready yet and she left. I asked her where she was going to. Then she said she was going horse-riding."

Edward narrowed his eyes. "Just like that."

The man lowered his head. "It surprised me, too, your majesty."

"What about Eunice? Where is she? She's responsible for Athena."

The advisor responded to the king. "It appears Eunice has been scarce around the castle for over a week now. I was told her brother is seriously ill and was also told you gave her permission to draw back from duty till her brother recovers."

The king sighed, recalling that he had actually dismissed her from duty. "But where is she still? I'm sure she would know something."

"She's out at the villages to get some herbs, your majesty." Joshua responded, all too quickly. "She's been with her brother at my quarters for the past three days. When Princess Athena left, Eunice had been out."

The king exhaled in frustration. "Then Eunice knows nothing then! How could you be so careless, Carmen?!"

The soldier stammered. "She said you knew. I had no idea she was lying, my lord."

"Maybe I should go after her." It was Jordan who spoke up.

Carmen responded. "And where exactly do you think she is?"

Annoyed, Jordan faced him. "Says the man who let her go out into the night. If anything happens to her, I will break every single bone in your body."

The queen, weeping silently and shaking vehemently, whispered into her husband's ear. "You don't think she would cross the border, do you?"

"She wouldn't. She has no business there. Athena wouldn't be that stupid."

The advisor spoke up. "Your highness, permit me to say, let us not overreact. Athena has been out multiple times on her own before. Let's give her time, she will come back like usual."

Working his jaw, Edward stared stiffly at the soldiers before him. "Listen up and listen good. If my daughter is not back before midnight, I will have every single soldier on duty tonight executed."