TWENTY THREE

This chapter holds pieces of some of the values close to my heart. So I had fun writing it, and I hope you have as much fun reading it.

Please VOTE VOTE VOTE and COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT🙏🏽 before you start to read.
We're always forgetting to vote🥺🙏🏽.

🌹

The ray of sunlight directed at Athena's face from the open window made her eyes drift open gently.

Coming awake, she turned to find the other portion of the bed empty. The sunlight made her squint her eyes and she wondered why Leonard was not beside her.

Yawning and rubbing her eyes, she brought herself to sit and opened up the curtains to reveal the rising sun. The dull blue sky was stunning, and the sounds of the birds chirping sounded very pleasant, too.

Athena did not try to bite down the smile that began to grace her lips. She knew the air naturally felt different. It felt hopeful. The sunrise felt beautiful that morning. The beginning of a new dawn felt like the chance to start again. Start afresh now that the emotional distance between she and Leonard had finally started to be repaired last night.

She remembered his words from last night.

"I'm in love with you, Athena. I want to learn to love you harder."

Athena's mouth was morphed into a full-blown grin as she rested on the headboard. She anticipated an exhilarating life from now on. One which she wanted to be genuinely happy in. One which was free from hate, bloodshed, boundaries and prejudice. She was about to get off Leonard's bed when footsteps halted her movements.

Her smile turned into a soft laugh when she saw Leonard enter the bedroom with a tray of food and water.

"Good morning, my love."

Athena lowered her head, her cheeks starting to feel hot. She fondled with one of the two of her braids like a teenager getting wooed by the kingdom's prince charming. And he was-her prince charming. "Good morning, Leonard."

"Someone's blushing." He said, setting the tray on the stool beside her.

"I'm not." She tried to straighten up her face. "Well, I can't help it. You're being sweet." She watched him seat in front of her. "This was very thoughtful of you, Leonard. But you didn't have to, really."

"Nonsense. You deserve it. Every moment." He gently raised her chin and she came to face a certain intensity in his blue eyes. His voice lowered to something of a whisper. "I'm still on my apologies."

"I've already forgiven you." She took his hand that raised her chin in both of hers.

"Still." He kissed her forehead and stood, carrying the tray from the stool onto her lap. Before she could say anything, he stole a quick kiss from her lips and made his way to the door. "I'll be back."

Heart fluttering, she tried to reach out to him. "Wait. Stay."

Turning himself to face her by the door, a smile touched his lips, one which Athena thought slightly mischievous. "I'll be back."

She watched him leave, wondering what he was up to.

🌹

Half an hour later, holding the tray in her hands, she found her way to the living room. She paused at the doorway, leaning on the doorjamb as she watched him.

He was sprinkling something into a wide bowl of water on the floor not far from the extinguished fireplace. What even made her more curious was that the air had changed. A sweet-smelling minty fragrance was in the air.