2: WISHFUL THOUGHTS

Salem ends up grabbing himself McDonald's as well. Once he arrives at the police station, he walks to his father's office. The man seems happy to see him upon entry.

"How was school?" Jack asks. Salem pulls a chair up beside his desk and takes a seat, unpacking the food. He doesn't really want to talk about school, if he's being honest. School sucks.

"It was okay. Mercedes dumped me." Salem notifies him. He says it so casually, he actually catches himself off guard. He tries to act sad, as an afterthought, because that would be the appropriate reaction to being broken up with. An expression of sympathy immediately takes over Jack Heart's features.

"I'm sorry," he replies. Salem just shrugs. "What happened? You two seemed to really like each other."

Salem doesn't know what the hell this guy is talking about, if he's being honest. Sure, Mercedes is pretty and popular and sweet, if a bit crazy, but she was a decent girlfriend. Salem was never all that into her, still, which is why he currently is not feeling an ounce of heartbreak.

Oh well. He'd rather his father think he's heart broken than unaffected, to be honest. Also, Salem is absolutely not telling this man why they broke up. Jack never approved of Atlas, not even a little bit. He was so happy when he thought Salem moved on.

Wait, no. There's no thought about it. Salem did move on, he's completely over that guy.

"I don't know, it just didn't work out." Salem says. He's trying not to be suspicious, but fails ultimately when he continues; "I have some questions about Atlas, though."

At the mention of the guy, Jack's eyes shoot over to meet Salem's. He immediately has a familiar curl to his lip, eyebrows slightly furrowed. His look of disapproval.

"Salem..." his voice is unsure. "I'm not sure it's wise to talk about—"

"I know, I know." Salem interrupts, fidgety and nervous. Jack leans back in his chair and gives the boy an expectant look. "It's nothing to do with... um, you know, us. I just have some questions about his criminal record."

Jack frowns, and Salem makes the executive decision to stop making eye contact. He doesn't like that look in his father's eyes, one he knows all too well. Sadly.

"Why?" Jack asks, and his tone sounds guarded. Salem continues to stare at the hardwood floor, and he hears a distant commotion. It sounds like one of the dogs. It hardly registers in his mind, thoughts running a mile a minute.

Salem knows about Atlas' criminal record, obviously. However, he was never told the specific crimes that the guy had committed, aside from his fighting. Any time Salem asked he was met with evasion, from both his father and the man himself, so he eventually gave up. Now, though, they aren't together anymore. So he should be able to know, right?

Also, Salem refuses to believe he robbed a bank. He'd always assumed Atlas was arrested for petty crimes, though he is fully aware that Jack would go easy on him generally. Atlas had mentioned it to him once.

Still, both Jack and Atlas constantly tried to keep Salem out of it. Now, though? After the bank incident? He wants answers, to simply ease his mind if anything.

"I just want to know the things you arrested him for."

"Why?"

"Why not? Isn't it public record?"

Salem meets Jack's eyes at this, and the man does not appear to appreciate Salem's tone. Salem is genuinely thinking about coming clean. Just telling this man everything.

"I would like to know why it's important to you."

Salem bites his tongue, though he wants to scream at the top of his lungs. You know why it's important to me.