26: IN TROUBLE

Atlas doesn't even try to resist arrest, which Salem supposes makes sense. After all, they are in a basement with only one exit. They're surrounded, with no hope of escape.

Salem does his best to comply as well, when the cops finally burst through the door, and the next few minutes are a blur as he's lost in his thoughts. What a coincidence, the police showing up at the same time he's here. Salem processes himself being put in handcuffs as he's escorted out of the building. That alone annoys him, but then he spots Jordan.

Salem breaks away from the officer with ease, who clearly knows who he is considering she hardly tries to stop him. Salem spots Atlas being escorted to a car close by from the corner of his vision, and he vaguely registers some surprise at how compliant Atlas is being, before he reaches the officer.

Jordan spots him, and when he's not even surprised to see Salem, something clicks.

"What the hell? Are you doing this on purpose?" Salem asks, glaring at him. Jordan purses his lips, crossing his arms.

"I'm here on Catrine's orders." Jordan replies, and Salem scrunches up his face. It's not the complete truth when he replies, but he decides that all the pressure she puts him under adds some credibility to it.

"So am I."

Jordan frowns, appearing to contemplate this. "She was very clear to apprehend everyone involved."

What? What is going on? Did Catrine plan this—did she want him arrested? Why? The details line up far too much for this to be an accident, and Salem was pretty sure he could get out of this. He's starting to lose hope in that upon noticing the pensive look in Jordan's eye.

"Well I wasn't involved." Salem says, raising his eyebrows. Jordan purses his lips.

"Did they find you with a Di Angelo?" Jordan asks, likely knowing the answer, and Salem scrunches up his face. Shit. They have to know he's not a part of this, but they probably just don't want to give him special treatment. Its still bullshit, though. His father is the chief! He's the boss of everyone here!

Then again, it really seems like they knew he'd be here. Maybe they don't want to blow his cover?

"How do you even know Atlas did anything wrong? Can you prove it?" Salem asks, crossing his arms. Jordan eyes the handcuffs he's holding, which he'd escaped quite fast. Salem doesn't understand why he's surprised. How could Salem not know how to get out of a pair of handcuffs? He's been behind the scenes his entire life. Also, he hates being restrained.

Well... depending on the circumstances.

Jordan's expression turns to one of suspicion, and Salem thinks over what he just said. Oh shit. He totally sounded like he was on Atlas' side. "I don't like you defending him."

Salem's eyebrows pinch together, gaze narrowing further on the man in front of him. No way Jordan thinks he holds any power over Salem and what he says. What does he even mean by that? He doesn't like Salem defending Atlas? Well Salem's basically done that since he met the guy, so Jordan shouldn't be all that surprised.

Salem can't say that, however, at the risk of raising suspicion. "I'm not defending him, I'm asking a question."

"A defensive question."

"What are you trying to say?" Salem asks, and he's not helping his case. His attitude right now is not working in his favor, but there isn't much he can do about that. Salem is absolutely incapable of pretending to feel emotions he's not, or acting fine when he isn't. He wears his heart on his sleeve, his emotions are plain to see at all times. It's part of why he's such a horrible liar. Well, that and the fact that he's pretty unfamiliar with breaking rules generally.