CHAPTER EIGHT.

As the carriage pulled up to Westcott manor, Pip was startled to realize it was not yet eight in the morning. Their visit to the Dalton home and the dark clouds blanketing the sky gave the illusion of late evening.

Pip stepped out of the carriage first to open the door for Lord Westcott, and they both came face to face with Oliver and Jane, their eyes wide. Oliver's eyes fell on Lord Westcott's cloak that hung around Pip's shoulders.

"Well," said Oliver slowly, "that's new." Pip quickly removed the cloak and hung it on one arm, more willing to bear the cold than Oliver's glares.

"You were in town?" Jane said excitedly, releasing her hand from Oliver's and running up to Robert. "Did you bring me anything?"

"Are you always going to ask that question every time I come home? No, I didn't."

"Pip," Jane tugged on his arm. "Pip, you tell me. Is that true? He got me something, didn't he?"

"Jane, return to your walk," said Lord Westcott, turning Jane by her shoulders and giving her a gentle shove back towards Oliver. "Mr. Kensley, I'd like you to accompany me to breakfast before your garden work."

Pip looked up at the clouds. There was a chilling breeze that pierced his clothes. It was definitely going to start raining soon, and he would've rather began with his chores immediately to be spared the storm on his way to the post.

But Lord Westcott was already halfway up the marble staircase. "Are you coming?" he asked without turning to Pip.

Pip clenched his jaw. It's all right. I'll just work very quickly.

"Yes, my lord," he said, stopped, pulled out his small wrappings of biscuits, and handed one to Jane. "There you go."

Her eyes widened. "Did you make these?"

He grinned. "Me? Certainly not. I couldn't boil water. But Lord Westcott told me to give one to you."

"He did?"

"Of course," said Pip. "I don't know why he's pretending he's forgotten. Strange, your brother is."

And as he handed Oliver one, Oliver muttered, "Why were you—"

"Later," Pip said under his breath with a glance at Jane who was chewing happily on her own biscuit. "I'll tell you everything later."

He ran after Lord Westcott into the entrance hall.

"Lying seems to be a bit of a habit of yours," noted Lord Westcott as Pip caught up to him at the door.

Pip straightened. "I'm not a liar, my lord. But I would be to protect them. I would be whatever they needed me to be."

"Not sure that's a good thing, Mr. Kensley," he said.

Pip faltered. Not for the first time, he wished Lord Westcott would look away from him. This is what he does, he thought. This was what Oliver had warned him about. He talked down to people and made them feel inferior. This was why his love feared being left alone in the same room as him.

He swallowed, strengthening his resolve. I have to be stronger, he thought. For Oliver.

"It wasn't a complete lie, my lord," he said. At the young lord's raised brow, Pip said, "I really don't know why you pretend not to care about your siblings."