CHAPTER THIRTY.

Pip's hands were trembling as he prepared the tea. Lord Westcott sat in his usual armchair, but Thomas had moved his chair around until he had a clear view of the doors and all the windows. He was tapping his foot anxiously, throwing Pip glances every now and then as Lord Westcott spoke to him.

"We're glad to have you, Captain Kensley," said Lord Westcott with an added mutter, "Goodness, that feels odd to say."

Thomas had greatly calmed since Pip had encouraged him inside and sat him down. At the top of the stairs when they had first entered, Lord and Lady Hewitt had stood next to the wall, grumbling and whispering to one another. Evidently, they were little more than displeased at being awoken by a screaming man on a horse, but Pip had managed to steer Thomas towards the dining room even as his head whipped around to the less than quiet mutterings, and Lord Westcott had subtly blocked him from Lord and Lady Hewitt's views. Pip could not have helped but be grateful to him.

Perhaps that was why he felt at peace whenever Lord Westcott spoke now. Pip and Thomas were safe, here with him. He was certain of it.

"Happy to see my brother again," said Thomas. He started to stand when Pip gave him a cup of tea. "Pip, don't serve me, for goodness' sake—"

"Please," said Pip, a hand on his shoulder. "Sit down, I'm all right."

"I'll sit down when you sit down."

"Thomas," he urged. "I'm all right."

"Pip," said Lord Westcott over the rim of his cup. "Stop complaining and do as your brother tells you."

Pip frowned. "But I—"

"Sit," said Thomas, tugging him down to sit in the chair beside his. He kept hold of Pip's hand, as though concerned he would disappear otherwise.

"I understand you were worried," said Lord Westcott, "because Pip had failed miserably in his duties as a brother and forgotten to send you a letter."

Thomas glanced warily at Lord Westcott, sticking his chin out stubbornly. "I need to know my brother is all right at all times. Is that so wrong?"

"On the contrary," said Lord Westcott. "I find your care for him admirable. I only apologize that he distressed you so."

"Do you have to say such things?" muttered Pip.

"You oughtn't neglect your family, Pip."

"I wasn't—" gaped Pip. "With everything that's happened this week—"

"Why?" said Thomas at once, looking between Pip and Lord Westcott. "What's happened this week? Did anyone hurt you?"

"No," said Lord Westcott and Pip at the same time.

"Apologies for being late," said Oliver as he came in. He sat on the small couch between Pip and Lord Westcott. "The Lord and Lady Guffaw caught me by the arm and wouldn't let me go until I'd relayed all the gossip of tonight's visit. Don't worry," he added to Thomas with a wink, "I made it all up. Not the nicest thing to do, perhaps, but it will surely be amusing, eh?"

Pip saw Lord Westcott cover his mouth with his hand, hiding his amusement once again. He wondered why Lord Westcott did that . . .

"Pip, did you hear me?"

"Hm?" Pip blinked and realized Oliver was speaking to him. His heart raced, guilt and panic coursing through his veins. When had he ever failed to listen to Oliver? "Er, of course."