CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE.

The candles had gone out by the time Pip had woken, but the clouds had turned to watered ink, even as snow continued to fall. He scrunched his shoulders and nuzzled Lord Westcott's collarbone. A smile came to his lips at the young lord's warmth, his faint smell of roses. Lord Westcott's arm hung around his shoulders, and he released a quiet moan as Pip pressed a soft kiss to his chest.

More minutes passed and Pip knew he did not have any more time to linger. With a sigh, and a weight in his chest that felt heavier now than any time before, Pip sat up, and moved to swing his legs over the bed. He would only return to his room and change. No one had to know he'd started the day in Lord Westcott's chambers.

It doesn't hurt too badly, Pip tried to tell himself. I've done it before.

And in the end, it couldn't have hurt more than the thought of Lord Westcott waking and saying, with no small amount of pity, Imagine what the others would think if they knew you'd spent the night here. Why don't you just return to your room and come back in a few minutes?

Pip was only beginning to wonder if he could change quickly enough and come back before six when Lord Westcott groaned and reached an arm around his waist.

"Where are you going?" he whined, his eyes still closed and his brow furrowed as he pulled Pip back to his side. He buried his face in Pip's neck. "It's too early," he muttered. "Go back to sleep."

Pip stared at the ceiling, not knowing what to do as Lord Westcott nuzzled deeper into his side. He slowly put his arms around Lord Westcott's shoulders, giving him time to pull away or dismiss him. When he did not, Pip was not reassured.

"Er, perhaps I should return to my room?" he asked into the peaceful silence.

"What for?" grumbled Lord Westcott, his arm around Pip's waist tightening. "D'you need something important?"

"No?"

"Then shush," he said, stretching a leg over Pip's, and running one hand down his side. Pip felt a tingle follow his touch.

And he knew he ought to have simply enjoyed the bliss, but his mind so rarely allowed him to let the odd go.

Hence, his question which he knew would only bring trouble; "What if someone finds out I spent the night?"

Lord Westcott was undeterred. "What if someone finds out you spent the night?"

"Well, wouldn't that bother you?"

He huffed, impatient, and looked up. "Would it bother you?"

Pip swallowed. It was silly to be flustered at the close proximity of his and Lord Westcott's faces, and yet here he was, momentarily speechless at the beauty of his long lashes, his rosy cheeks, the black curls falling over his brow.

"I . . . I don't think so?"

"Is that a question?" he said. "Or are you telling me?"

He swallowed. "I'm telling you."

"Good," he said. Pip may have believed Lord Westcott had not been concerned about his answer had he not leaned up to press his lips to Pip's in a long kiss.

Pip cupped his face, stilling him. "You really want me to stay? Until breakfast? You won't change your mind?"

Lord Westcott frowned. "No, Pip, I won't change my mind."

"Are you certain?" insisted Pip. "Because I can be downstairs in seconds, and no one would know I was here."

Something in Lord Westcott's expression fit into place, and he softened. He kissed Pip's lips again. "I want you to stay with me." He kissed Pip's cheeks. "Forever, if you'll let me keep you that long." He kissed each of Pip's eyes, making him laugh despite his anxieties. "And damn what anyone suspects or thinks."