18. work

WORK

WORK

you were laying in bed staring at the ceiling once again, just thinking about everything that has been happening recently

you were laying in bed staring at the ceiling once again, just thinking about everything that has been happening recently. that horrible manager of yours wanted you to close the café with xiao again instead of working at your normal shift time.

you truly did not know why your manager hated you so much. ever since the first day that you worked they were never nice and seemed to make you do all the tasks that you did not like.

either way you still kept on working at the place since you needed some money and because hu tao and ganyu worked there too. (even though you all never ended up getting to work a shift together !!)

eventually you got up from your bed as always and used the bathroom. you took a quick shower and changed into some new clothes. afterwards you listened to one of your playlists and decided that you could use your free time to get some work done.

you grabbed a book that you were supposed to read a couple weeks ago and started the first chapter. while reading the first chapter you wrote down a couple notes on post it note and stuck them onto different pages. as you continued to read, you wrote down more bullets as to what you thought of the text.

as time passed, you ended up spending more than an hour of just reading. the book was pretty boring and it wasn't too interesting in your opinion. you simply just read it because you had to. the whole story so far was mainly just about how the main character hated his father and hated everything that he had liked.

you went to your kitchen and cut up chunks of spam, cooked it, cracked some eggs onto the spam, and mixed it all together with rice once done cooking. you also added some soy sauce and mixed it into your rice evenly. you then ate your meal and wiped down your table. after that, you went on your phone for around half an hour, just scrolling through different apps to see what other people were doing.

once it was finally around time for your shift to start you grabbed your bag and checked to make sure you had all your necessary items with you. you then put on your socks, shoes, and left the house. by the time you got to the café you noticed that there seemed to be more people than usual.

you walked towards the back to put on your apron and came back out to take some people's orders. while doing this you looked around to see if xiao had arrived yet. by the time you were done preparing their orders, xiao finally arrived. he quickly walked to the back, put on his apron, and came back out.

"how come you're so late today? i thought you would be the type to always arrive on time." you spoke up. "there was an accident along the way, it caused a lot of traffic." xiao explained. "oh, okay. can you serve drink to the person by the window and the food to the other person sitting right at the middle table?" you asked. "yeah." he said before handing out their orders.

once he gave everyone their orders, he came back and stood behind the counter next to you. he glanced over at you and looked away. "so... how has your day been?" xiao asked you. "oh wow, you're starting a conversation with me??" you responded. "it's just because i have nothing better to do," he stated.

"yeah okay... anyways, my day has been nice i guess. i started reading one of my school books but it's really boring." you replied. "oh, sounds boring," he said. "yeah, it is. what about you? how has your day been?" you asked back. "it's been okay," he stated.

"...is that all you're gonna say?" you questioned. "yeah? why? you asked me how my day was so i answered you." he responded. "tell me about what you did." you suggested. "i just stayed at home, there's nothing to really talk about..." he replied. "oh, okay." you said.

soon, more people entered the café and the place got full. you were taking everyone's orders and xiao was serving it out. you noticed that he got better at bringing people their orders. he was less awkward now and seemed more natural at it. his smile at the customers didn't seem as forced either.

after everyone's orders were served out, people started leaving one by one. you still had about 30 minutes left before your shift ended and since nobody else was coming, you used the time to clean up the café.

almost everyone had left by now and you continued to clean. you wiped down counters and tables, swept the floor, and restocked some items. meanwhile, xiao was checking how many different types of bread were still left over.

you had about 10 minutes before the place closed now. you checked the cash register and counted the amount of money in it. while you were doing this a customer entered and quickly walked over to you.

"i'm sorry for coming right before you guys close but could i just get a cup of coffee?" they asked. "of course, it'll be out shortly." you replied. you made a cup of coffee for the customer and left it on the counter for xiao to hand it out.

he took the cup of coffee and walked over to the customer to hand it to them but he somehow managed to drop the cup and spill it. you looked up and saw the small puddle of coffee on the ground.

"...i spilled the coffee," xiao stated. "yeah i can see that." you responded. "can you make another coffee? i'll clean this up." he suggested. "alright." you replied.

you made another cup of coffee and handed it to the customer. "sorry about that, here's your cup of coffee." you said as you gave the customer their coffee. "haha, no worries. it was a little funny seeing that happen. again, sorry for coming in so late. i'll leave now." they responded. "alright, have a nice day!" you waved.

as the last customer finally left you looked over at the small puddle that xiao had made. "how did you even spill the coffee?" you asked. "i don't know, it just got out of my hand and it spilled," he explained. "yeah okay. i was gonna say that you were improving on interacting with the customers though." you replied.

he looked at you in surprise. "really??" he questioned. "yeah, you seem more natural with it and less stiff." you responded. "that's good," he stated. xiao continued to clean up the mess and wiped down the place thoroughly.

once he was done, you had also finished your tasks to close the café. you took off your apron and put it back to its original spot and grabbed your bag. you then closed the blinds, walked out of the café, and waited for xiao to come out. when he finally walked out of the place, you locked the door.

"bye xiao, get home safe," you waved.

"yeah.. sleep well,"

"...you sleep well too i guess."