002

I'm sitting at school and it doesn't feel real yet

I'm sitting at school and it doesn't feel real yet. I've already endured the awkward and pitiful stares, the silent whispers and shameful walk through the halls as I trailed behind my sister embarrassed.

Seems like she'd forgotten all about our argument yesterday and proceeded to offer that I sit with her and her friends during lunch which I almost immediately declined.

I already knew what her friends thought of me. Like baggage. They only pretended to be nice because that's what June would want, and they adored June. Everybody did, because frankly it was quite hard not to.

She was perfect in every way and effortlessly beautiful. Boys wanted to be with her, and the girls wanted to be her.

And me? well I guess you could say that I was just...there.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I have no friends because I quite literally don't. I only have June's friends.

They might be fake but at least they're nice.

I sit at the very front of the class right next to my professor's desk. In all my classes.

When I asked my social sciences teacher why in the 9th grade, her response was along the lines of "It's because you're special."

I cried that night.

After my language arts professor returned to his desk I twisted my head around the room puzzled as to why everyone had pulled their binders out suddenly.

"Reese." A male voice intruded my thoughts and I found my professor already observing me with some solemn look in his eyes.

"I...heard about your dad this summer." He continued. "I'm sorry.

My eyes darted away from his and I glared at my desk.

"I'll understand if you know...you wish to not complete some assignments due to your loss. I truly hope things get better."

"Thank you." I mumbled and my voice cracks. Of course I didn't mean it.

Out of all my classes, language arts was probably my favourite, although I'd rather not have to attend any classes if I had that choice.

I'm able to recognize every face in my class. Rithanya Kumara who attended my model UN program last year, I don't know an awful lot about her except that she's buddhist.

Clover Tuffin, one of my sister's ex-friends (she has a lot). Mei Misaki, 9th grade mathematics class as well as photography club representative.

Laurence (Laurie) Ledger who I'm 89% sure has had a heartfelt crush on me since junior high.

I stop to wonder if any of these faces recognized me. I'm very avoidant and forgettable so, most likely not.