004

It was finally Saturday

It was finally Saturday. The day of Divisionals and I was feeling super anxious and equally terrified.

What if I was hallucinating and my ankle really was fractured? What if I'm unable to skate on it? What if I reopened the wound?

Too many what if's, not enough solutions.

I'm pretty sure I was going mental. Borderline deranged. I poured out my meds with unsteady hands before swallowing all 5 different pills dry.

"Are you excited?" June spoke with pleasure from the driver's seat as I tried not to choke on the chalky pills.

I nodded my head despite the fact, while wearing a fake smile and feigning cheerfulness. "Can't wait." I chuckled nervously through gritted teeth.

June was basically bouncing off the walls as she rolled down her window, allowing the salty breeze comb through her flaxen hair.

She sang along to the song groan by dazey and the scouts loudly and extremely off key.

I sat there while trying my hardest not to drown in utter despair and thought to myself, was this my punishment? For existing purely to spite others? For slapping Laurie?

Had my past years of insolence and rash behaviour finally crept up on me? Was this the ultimate penalty? Being forced to listen to my older sister screech obnoxiously along to her yodelling music?

I could make it stop. Pushing the passenger door open was just in my power, and the temptation was overwhelming.

"I already know you're gonna kill it, you always do. Because you're so amazing and talented, my sister yes she is!" She giggled over the music.

I willed myself to focus on steadying my breathing rather than having to listen to my sister make a fool of herself yet again.

When we finally arrived at the rink it was basically empty. All that stood were mentors and their trainees discussing and practising on the ice. The air smelt cool and crisp as it itched my nose.

It didn't take me long to spot Portia hovering near the ice. She was pacing back and forth while flipping through a clipboard frantically.

"I see Portia." I announced to my sister who was much too busy conversing with Shiloh, her best friend.

Never had one of those before.

We ended up picking her up at the last minute because she didn't have anything planned this afternoon which was rare.

She was always stuck at home being forced to babysit her younger sisters Vivianne and Rowena. Given that her dad was a pilot, he was almost never in the country, much less at home. While her mother worked as a real estate developer which was a very time consuming occupation.

"What was that?" June smiled at me still laughing at whatever Shiloh just told her.

"I see – nevermind." I grumbled impatiently.