005

I spent the entire first day of my suspension doing absolutely nothing

I spent the entire first day of my suspension doing absolutely nothing. Both my mother and June left early in the morning while I slept in. I woke up at around 1pm to finish reading my fourth book of the month then took a nap.

But today I refused. I refused to waste away in my bed two days in a row and resume that miserable cycle.

Unlike yesterday, today I got up early. Because I was going to try out a new carrot muffin recipe I'd seen online.

Normally, I loathed cooking and all things kitchen but today was going to be different. Today was going to be a good day.

I quickly read the ingredients outloud to myself then got to work. The process was surprisingly quick, only taking me a little under twenty minutes.

As the muffins baked I watched some Gilmore girls reruns and the carrot cake aroma filled the entire house.

I helped myself to two muffins before passing out on the couch.

"It smells good in here." June's familiar voice slaps me awake. I fumbled on the couch at her arrival and nearly choked when I saw Johari trailing behind her.

"Reese," June sings my name sweetly. "What did you make?"

"Just some carrot muffins." I mumbled, slightly embarrassed.

"Ouuu goodie!" June squealed excitedly. "You don't mind if we snag a few do you?"

I shrugged, "Do what you want."

Both Johari and my sister bit into the muffins and released a series of exaggerated and incredibly uncomfortable moans.

"This is actually good." Johari sounded genuinely shocked. "Surprised you didn't burn the whole house down." He laughed but I wasn't laughing.

I got up abruptly and approached them. "I'm going to go take these to the neighbours just to piss off you fatasses."

"That's so nice of you." June beamed before her eyes lit up suddenly "Oh! You remember that Italian restaurant they've been building on Cobble?" She asked.

"Well Jo and I passed it on our way home and it's open! We were thinking about going there right now actually, you know you could join-"

"No thanks." I interjected and she frowned. "I'm not really hungry."

I felt June watch me as I went upstairs to change.

-

So far I've delivered muffins to the Barretts, Carnels and Atkinsons. It was strange actually the more I thought about it. I'd lived next to these people basically my entire life but knew practically nothing about them. Only that the Barretts had adopted some timid girl from Poland three years ago.

Her name was Maja, and my mother actually forced June and I to babysit her while they all went out to some fancy adult banquet for valentines day. At first I cried. I wasn't very fond of small children.