Prologue: Waking the Bear

Greenland, year ????

In the eternal fog of hibernation--the only state of being that is tolerable anymore--there's suddenly light. Just a glimmer at first but bit by bit it grows stronger. The warm glow thaws my frozen limbs, aching after having been still for so long.

Through the fog, I see her. My love. Gudrun. Eyes as blue as the frozen sea and curls as red as the midnight sun. The runes etched on her cheeks glow like the last embers of a fire.

A single bluebell hangs between her fingers. She always loved the delicate flowers, which somehow thrive on these harsh shores. They grow in every meadow once the winter finally releases its grip on the frozen ground. When we were young, so long ago now, I used to pick them for her and put them behind her ear. We both knew it was a blatant excuse to have my fingers graze her skin for a mere second.

She's finally come for me. Just like she promised all those years ago.

"I will find you, Björn," she said. "When the moon once again shades the blood-red sun, I will find you."

I believed her then and I still do, even as the years passed. I stopped counting when I got to a hundred. That was long ago now. People have come and gone to this island at the edge of the world. They have thrived and they have suffered. Most of them have turned to dust already. But I remain, frozen in time. Awaiting the promise from my love.

I should have left long ago when the others sailed away to mythical lands. I should have stood at the stern of that ship, with her by my side. Instead, I'm here, wallowing in the darkness.

She calls for me from outside the cave. I've heard my name many times throughout the years but it's always called in fear.

Gudrun isn't scared of me. She never was. Not even after what I did.

I have to go to her. I have to venture outside once again. Despite the dangers such an excursion poses.

I don't fear for my own life--as my pitiful existence is little but a curse anyway--but for the lives of others.