Chapter 23: Freedom

"So you declare that you're of sane mind and came here of your own volition?" The policewoman's voice is peppy as she reads off the formal words from the screen before her.

"Yes," I reply impatiently, wanting to leave the police station as soon as possible. We have more important matters to tend to. Matters I don't really want to try to explain to law enforcement, as they would probably put me in a straight jacket the moment I mentioned werebears.

"Good, let me just call the officer responsible for your case so you can talk to them before you leave. We want to ensure you're under no coercion and can safely care for yourself."

"I can do that. I guess..." I mumble, wondering how long this will take. "And I want to make sure my... friend doesn't get in trouble for anything." I gesture toward Mikk, who waits on a chair behind me in the lobby. "He says his mom will kill him if he gets in trouble with the police," I joke to take some of the pressure off the situation.

The woman, whose neat bob shimmers under the fluorescent lighting of the back office, stands on her tippy toes to reach over the counter and take a look at Mikk. "Yeah, she probably would," she surmises with a smile. "My aunt can be a bit... headstrong at times."

"Your aunt?" I stutter. "You're related to Mikk?"

"Yup! We're cousins," she leans over the counter to catch her relative's attention. "Mikkel!" she calls out, making Mikk turn his head. "What kind of trouble are you getting yourself in now?" Despite it probably not being the language they usually speak when together, they communicate in English, probably so I won't feel left out.

"Ina!" Mikk replies, walking over toward us. "I should have remembered that you work here. I could have called and asked you to sort it all out. But... well I've had a lot to deal with lately and then my mom called and yelled at me about this... situation." He shrugs, firing off a smile. "You know how she can be."

"I know all about Auntie Anu's penchant for drama," Ina replies with a snicker. "But I can help you sort this out now! I've already sent a message to the officer and he should be here any moment. And I'll talk to him if there any issues." She flashes a bright smile. There is definitely a resemblance between the cousins when they smile. A mischievous attitude and a stroke of daringness. Perhaps it's from their grandma who I've heard so much about.

That smile makes me believe this will all be worked out in no time.

"Saga!" I'm unprepared for the call of my name, coming from behind me. But I do know that voice.

Perhaps this will be messier than expected.

Turning around, I see a treacherous face. My traitor heart can't help but beat a bit faster at the sight of his well-combed hair and neat jacket. A reflex rather than a lingering affection. It's hard to just relearn your heart's response after three years.

"Stefan," I greet him, making sure my voice is without emotion. "What are you doing here?" Instinctively I use Swedish when speaking to my ex. The shock of seeing him has made me less considerate of language skills than Mikk and Ina.

Stefan doesn't belong here. Just seeing him step through the door to that police station is like a clash between worlds. His well-ironed light blue button-up and suit pants paint such a stark contrast to Mikk's plaid flannel shirt and jeans. He's a product of corporate guidelines and networking events. Always smirking, but never actually smiling with his eyes.

Smizing Tyra Banks called it. I'm not sure why I'm thinking of America's Next Top Model at this moment but the mind is an enigma. I snicker at the weird association.

Stefan gives me an insulted look as if I was laughing at him. I wish I had been. "I came here to ask if there was any news about your whereabouts," he says. "Apparently there are..."