Chapter 18: Way Past Silly

Greenland, Present Day

Muffled Danish words wake me up from pleasant dreams of nothing. Only white noise and everlasting peace exist in my head. Björn has stopped telling his story when I close my eyes, but hopefully, he can tell me the parts that remain untold himself.

Peeking out from layers of blankets--which smell wondrously of him-- I spot Mikk across the room, speaking on the phone. He wears nothing except a pair of green boxers and seems no worse for wear despite the chilly nature of the room. Pale morning light illuminates his impressive physique, allowing me to admire him in detail--which wasn't quite possible during last night's frenzy. He doesn't carry the kind of muscles you see on admired models or famed actors, sculpted for optimal visual effect, but rather exemplifies the kind of body born out of activity and labor. Being a man of Greenland, his sturdy frame is also padded with a layer of insulation--which I supposed explains why he rarely seems to freeze--making each limb rounded in shape but hard underneath.

Who cares about models or actors when you have such a sight in front of you? Not air-brushed or posed, but authentic and real with hair that is matted in the back and eyes that are still foggy from sleep.

Upon realizing I'm awake, Mikk smiles at me, pointing at the phone and holding up a finger to signal that he's soon finished. My sleepy brain, which can barely distinguish Danish words even when awake, manages to interpret Mikk saying something about someone minding their own business from now on before he hangs up.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up." He approaches the bed. I swallow hard to focus as I notice how low his boxers sit on his hips, revealing lines that appear to point downward. "I just had to call Mads to tell him I'm not coming to work today."

"What did you tell him you were doing?" I ask, assuming he didn't mention anything about werebears or immortal Vikings.

"Just that I needed a day off. I never use any sick days and rarely take a vacation, so I figured that wouldn't be too much to ask." He sighs, sitting down on the bed next to me.  His hand starts to pat my leg below the covers. "But Mads didn't agree. He said he needed every man on deck since we're running more tours than usual because of the eclipse tomorrow."

"So you have to go to work anyway?" I ask, worried I will have to try to find my way back to the cave alone. Because not going there doesn't feel like an option either. I have to untangle all the knotted threads of this saga somehow, or my mind will be forever lost in its yarn.

"No," Mikk assures me, leaning over for a kiss. His lips wrap around mine as if they belong together. "I reminded Mads about him blathering about my personal affairs at work, which made him much more agreeable. I will run double tours next week to give him some time off, and he'll call in his cousin to cover for me today and tomorrow."

"So I have you all to myself for two whole days?" Stroking my fingers through his hair, I pull him in for another kiss.

"You have me for as long as you need me."

I need him forever. But I don't say that. It's way too early for such declarations.

And once I've sorted out the tangled yarn of Björn's saga, I'm going home.

Or am I? Except for my work--which I'd rather avoid anyway since Stefan will be there--I don't really have any obligations at home. My parents and sisters are there, of course, but there are ways to stay connected to them from afar.

Perhaps sensing that his statement has rattled me, Mikk places a kiss on my cheek. "Should we get going?" he asks. "Since we don't know how long it takes to get to the cave it may be good to start early."