Chapter Two

Sophie

Sophie woke up, yawning. Blinking the sleep out of her eyes, she got out of her bed. Her room was a big one. The queen bed only took up about a tenth of her room. She had two nightstands, a big desk, two armoires, and a space to workout (that was necessary for her missions.) She even had a walk-in closet and a joint bathroom. Ah, the perks of being Agent Moonlark.

At the moment, however, Sophie wasn't feeling very lucky. She was thinking about Keefe. Why, oh, why did he have to be part of the Neverseen?

Just then, Vertina waltzed into Sophie's room. Vertina was in charge of Sophie's disguises when she went on missions.

"You look awful," she noted, her sapphire blue eyes narrowing at Sophie.

"Thanks," Sophie grumbled. At seven in the morning, Vertina was already fully dressed and had already done her make-up. No doubt she had already eaten breakfast. Sophie, on the other hand....

"You're hair looks like a bird's nest, the bags under your eyes are darker than Tam's humor, and you're pale as a ghost."

"Vertina, I'm a spy, not a model."

"Doesn't mean you have to look like....that."

"You're starting to sound like Biana."

"Now, that girl has some fashion sense," Vertina said, going into Sophie's closet and digging through Sophie's various disguises. Sophie rolled her eyes and stepped into her bathroom. A good look in the mirror told her that Vertina was right. She did look awful.

"Try this on," Vertina told her, throwing her a red dress. Sophie stared at the dress in horror. The dress was very short and sparkly and strapless. The back dipped way too low.

"No," she told Vertina, and threw the dress back. Vertina gave her a pout and went back to searching through Sophie's wardrobe.

"How about this?" Vertina tossed her a yellow tank top and black leggings. Sophie nodded and ducked into the bathroom. A few minutes later, she came back into her room. Vertina stepped back to admire her work.

"Maybe some gold eyeliner," she was mumbling. "And a high ponytail..." She pushed Sophie into the desk chair. Sophie tried not to complain as Vertina styled her hair and applied make-up to Sophie's face. Why Vertina was so set on making Sophie look good even when she wasn't on missions was still a mystery to Sophie.

"Voilà!," Vertina cried. "You are no longer atrocious! You have been upgraded to 'simply a mess.'"

"Gee, thanks." Sophie wasted no time in escaping Vertina. She darted out of her room.

The hallways of the Black Swan's headquarters were long and tranquil. The eery silence was just what Sophie needed after a long mission. But that wasn't even the best part. The best part was at the other end of this hallway. The training room. It was where she went to think.

As soon as she was inside, she put on boxing gloves and started punching the boxing bag. Her thoughts whirled around in her brain like bullets.

Why did she have to open up to Keefe? Punch. Why did she have to kiss him on the cheek? Punch. Why did he have to let her get the Lumenaria Gem? Punch. Why did he have to be so darn perfect?

"You seem like you want to kill that bag."

Sophie turned around. "Well, Biana, it's not like I can."

Biana was standing with Linh in the doorway. With her chestnut brown hair and teal eyes, she was easily one of the most gorgeous people Sophie had seen. It was obvious that she was Fitz's sister. Don't let her good looks fool you, though. Biana could kick anyone's butt on a daily basis.