Chapter Nineteen

Biana

Biana had her eyes closed, just enjoying the moment, when she felt something cold close around her hand. Her eyes flew open and she gasped.

Tam had put his hand around hers. His eyes were still closed and he lay still, shaking slightly. The only indication that he'd moved was his hand.

Biana smiled softly and blinked back the tears in her eyes.

"You'll be alright," she whispered to Tam.

Sophie

"Are we there yet?"

"Are you trying to do the role of the annoying five-year-old?," Sophie sighed. Her grip on the wheel tightened, making her knuckles go white.

Keefe tsked. "Correction : I'm not trying. I am doing - and greatly at that, I must say - the role of a five-year-old."

Sophie bit her lip to keep herself from smiling. "Well, for your information, we have half an hour left."

"Yes!" Keefe pumped his fist in the air. "Did I tell you I get carsick?"

"Multiple times."

"Well, it sucks. Big time."

"I think you said exactly that the last three times you mentioned your motion sickness."

"See," Keefe said, "I only get sick when I'm in a vehicle that's...I don't know how to describe it. Plush? If the seats are hard, like in subways and certain buses, I'll be just peachy. Throw me in a taxi, and I'll barf all over you."

Sophie massaged one of her temples with a hand. "And did I mention that I also get motion sickness sometimes?"

"No," Keefe replied. He paused. "Do you?"

"No. But what if I did and I didn't tell you?"

Keefe put his hand over his heart and turned in his seat to give Sophie a horrified look. "I would be hurt, Foster. We could have bonded over our hatred of getting carsick!"

"And what if I do get carsick and you keep on reminding me of it?"

"But you don't," Keefe answered as if it were obvious. He opened the glove compartment and took out a packet of gum. "Gum?"

Sophie glanced at it. "What flavor is it?"

"Mint." He popped a piece of gum in his mouth.

Sophie snatched the piece of gum he was offering. "Thanks."

"See?," Keefe exclaimed. "I can be useful!"

"Oh, really?" Sophie raised an eyebrow. "Then, why have you been acting like a five-year-old for the last few hours?"

"It just adds to my charm."

"What charm?," Sophie asked innocently.

"That's just low, Foster," Keefe pouted.

Sophie laughed. "Someone had to say it."

The houses on both sides of the car were falling away to make way for trees. They were in the woods. Birds flew overhead, covering the sun's glare momentarily.

"Are we in Vermont?," Keefe asked.

"We have been for at least twenty minutes, now."

"Then, are we there yet?"

Sophie groaned. He couldn't go five minutes without asking that question, could he?

"Nope."

Oops, she had said that out loud. She shook her head, still smiling.