Chapter Thirty Two

Chapter Thirty-Two:

I'm going to try and make this a really long chapter. Bear with me.

Recap because it's been so long since the last chapter:

A long pause. It stretched longer, then longer. The sounds inside the room were muffled to them, now. Alvar stared at Fitz and Dex, Fitz stared at Alvar, and Dex stared at Fitz.

Fitz squeezed his eyes shut. He took a deep, shuddering breath. Then he released Alvar. Almost at once, the hilt of his sword came crashing down on Alvar's head. Alvar collapsed onto the ground, his eyes already closed.

Fitz opened his eyes. For a long time, teal eyes held periwinkle ones. Then Fitz gave Dex a small smile. It wasn't his movie star one that he gave to everyone. This one seemed more genuine.

Dex was about to smile back, when he heard low growls. He spun around, and froze.

Three grotesque creatures crouched in front of them. With long fangs, spiky tails, huge talons, large wings, and scales, they were easily the most horrifying things Dex had ever seen.

Tam, who had somehow gotten out there without Dex noticing, sucked in a breath. "It's the Gorgodons."

Sophie

When she saw them, she thought she was hallucinating. They were like monsters from another world. They could probably pass as monsters from Percy Jackson.

One glance at them, and she knew they were lethal. And then she factored in the fact that they were creations of the Neverseen...and they became twice as dangerous.

Her heart beating fast, she ran away from the person she had been fighting. She stopped a few feet away from the creatures, standing next to Tam.

"What are those?" she breathed.

"Gorgodons," Tam muttered. "Gods, how many times do I have to tell people that?" He sounded annoyed from under his hood, but Sophie could tell he was scared. He was stiff, and he wouldn't stop cracking his knuckles.

With a great roar, the first Gorgodon leapt into the air and tackled someone to the ground. Said person landed on the ground with a thump.

"Squall!" Sophie screamed. She lunged for the member of the Collective, but Tam yanked her back.

"Sophie," he murmured in her ear. "Careful."

And at that exact moment, Dex saw his mother. He saw her on the ground, wrestling with one of those gigantic beasts. And she was losing.

"Mom!" He charged at the Gorgodon, but before he reached her, Agent Gisela blocked him. She held a knife to his throat, and smiled. Smiled.

~This place marks where I took a break from writing, and scarred myself for life by reading a Sogrady fanfiction.~

Dex struggled and tried to break free, but Gisela dug the knife deeper into his throat. Finally, survival instinct took over and he hung loosely in her grip. The whole time, his eyes were locked on Squall, whose blood was starting to seep through the thick fabric of her cloak.

"Let me go," Sophie pleaded with Tam. "Please. I can't let another person I love die!" Her first family. Calla. Mitya. She would die before anyone else was taken away from her.

Members of the Black Swan tried to get to Squall, but the other Gorgodons fought them when they got too close.

And the Neverseen just watched. They watched their leader press a knife deeper and deeper into a teenager's throat. They watched the teenager's mother get ripped apart slowly by a horribly unnatural hybrid of theirs.