3.) Working for the Knife

"Emboldened by the dishonor Hecate had shown, Azura lifted her staff to the cotton-candy skies and shouted, 'I challenge you to a witches duel!' And look! I drew a flip book. Pew, pew, pew!" Luz talks to King in between reading.

  "Show me the picture." He says, peeking over the top of the book.

  "What?" Luz asks.

  "Show me the picture!" King asks and Luz does. "Hah! I can draw better than that. You know, they once called me the King of Artists."

  "Wait. I thought you were the King of Demons. Are you just making this up now?" Luz questions him.

  "Doesn't matter. What's important is that my followers would leave me offerings in fear of me!" He says confidently.

  "Well, I can offer you more of this tantalizing book." Luz offers.

  "Ugh! Please stop reading that. Its flowery language is an insult to witches and driving away all of our serious customers!" Mom snaps.

  "The book isn't so bad. Terribly written but the plot is okay." I mumble and put my scroll down to see what they're doing.

  "Um, Eda? What customers? There aren't even any other stands around. What's going on?" Luz asks.

  "This is a bad omen. There must be something horrible happening today." She responds wearily.

  "Luz! Something amazing is happening today!" Gus runs up with Willow.

  "Gus, Willow! Hey!" Luz greets them.

  "It's the annual Covention! Student witches get to see all the types of covens before they're placed in one. There's even a mystery guest this year!" Willow explains with a wide grin.

  "A job fair for witches! Eda, can we go?" Luz asks. Now more than ever I want my mother to say no.

  "Absolutely not." She says and I silently cheer. Luz just groans and drops to the ground. "I never joined a coven for a reason. Sure it's like a fun club for witches, but you're also giving up your magical independence to be part of a crooked system. Eh, but, you know, no judgment. In any case, I haven't been to one since we were girls."

  "We?" Luz asks. "Who's 'we'? You have a mysterious past! Now we gotta go!" Luz doesn't give up.

  "No." She says again.

  "Okay. Then you leave me no choice." Luz threatens as King grabs the Azura book.

  "You shall not shan't doeth no more harm, Azura callethed out." King reads.

  "So flowery, so awful." Mom walks away, opening the portal door and stepping through it.

  "Hecate could only screech, screech as did she, for the screeching did worseneth." King says before Luz tosses him through the portal as it closes. It opens a second later, Eda coming back through with King sitting on her head.

  "Stop it! Stop it! I will literally do anything to stop this!" She yells.

  "Please don't say that," I whisper to myself as Luz just smirks.

  "Covention time!" Luz says before running ahead of all of us, Willow and Gus behind her.

  "Why can't you just persevere through the bad book?" I cross my arms as we start to follow them.

  "It's the worst thing I've read since...okay, I don't read but still." She sighs.

  "I'm not going, I have to go to the library." I lie and start going to walk away. Before I can get far she grabs my hood and pulls me back by her side.