13.) The Field Trip

"Everyone, please make sure your permission slips are turned in! We will board our ship in five minutes." The teacher announces.

  "And then I was like 'don't eat that, you'll die' so then he stopped." Sasha finishes her ramble.

  "So inspiring." Anne sarcastically claps her hands.

  "I hate this field trip," I mumble.

  "Then why don't you stay home?" Marce suggests.

  "And miss out on all the cool relics? And this is my one day to 'show off' that my parent works in the castle." I defend.

  "You're so confusing." Sash laughs.

  "Did you guys hear about that boscha thing last week?" Anne asks while looking at her scroll.

  "Someone else needs to be in charge, I swear." I scoff.

  "She has a lot of anger for an upper middle class, straight a student, whose parents are still together." Sasha jokes.

  "Maybe it'll level out by next year." Anne shrugs.

  "So, are you gonna sneak away during the tour? If so, you should take me with you." Marcy nudges me.

  "Me too," Sasha adds.

  "Well, if they're going, I wanna go." Anne laughs.

  "I might, it depends on how boring it is. I mean, we've already been on this tour like three times." I shrug.

  "Remember that one time we snuck away from our group and your parent let us hang out in their office? That was so fun." Anne smiles.

  "Yeah! And they bought us lunch from the dining hall instead of the shitty school bagged lunches." Sasha adds.

  "I thought you guys were on team mom?" I ask.

  "We switch around a lot." Marcy snickers.

  "Everyone line up at the door!" The teacher calls.

  We do as we're told efficiently like we were taught as kids. Even despite the two seniors up front arguing for line leader. We're able to head out into the loading dock quickly where our ship is ready. I can see Luz boarding another just up ahead.  She must've changed her mind about the field trip. Which is surprising given the fact that Lilith was outside of our house this morning battling Hooty with other scouts.

  I'm just glad it was Lilith and not someone else. In case it wasn't clear, I'm glad it wasn't the Golden Guard. Son of a bitch. Just thinking about him makes me angry. How did I let this happen? Why am I so stupid? I knew it and I decided not to trust my instincts. He was always too pushy about the coven.

  And the worst part is, I ignore everyone at school who likes me. Why did I let Hunter drive me crazy? The four of us watch as we pass by different things on the way. The three of them talk about something that I can't listen to. I'm too distracted today. I let him distract me once again. I don't want anything to do with him.

  He's probably telling the other scouts all about how easy it was to 'charm' me, if you could even call it that. He was a fool the whole time. Stumbling over his words, nervous, maybe that's what drew me in. He tried to be confident but he always dropped it. That's when I liked him the most. But it was so obvious and I ignored it. I shouldn't have.

  Our ship finally lands in front of the castle and students get excited. They excitedly hop off of the ship and onto the bridge as the rest of us just walk normally.

  "Students! Your tour guide is here. Please treat the Golden Guard with the utmost respect." The teacher smiles.

  "KILL ME." I turn to face my friends. The teacher walks off leaving my group alone with him. The teachers have some sort of team building in the union of the castle.