Chapter 15

Menma looked out the window with tired eyes. He felt like he’d been hit by a Ninja and then stabbed. Oh wait-
    He pursed his ears when he heard frantic footsteps coming towards them. He looked over, expecting to see his team. Instead he was met with a blonde but that grabbed him in a protective, almost bone crushing, hug. 

    “Ma-ma?” he croaked out, reaching up to grab the man's arms. Naruto pulled back just as everyone else entered the room. Menma didn’t notice them.

    “Menma don’t you EVER do that again,” Naruto’s eyes welled up with his unshed tears, “I thought I was going to lose you. I should have never sent your team on that mission-”

    “Don’t cry, Mama. You didn’t know it was a trap,” Menma looked down at his hands, “I should’ve recognized the signs..”

    “Wait, I’m sorry,” Boruto interrupted, blinking rapidly. “What did you call him?” Menma stiffened, as did Naruto.

    “Uh- Hokage, sir…?” 

    “No,” Sarada countered, “Did you call Lord Seventh, Mama!?”

    Naruto looked pleadingly at Sasuke, who made a “I don’t know what to do either” look. 

    “The cats out of the bag, Naruto,” Kakashi chipped in, gaining the two genins' attention, who snapped their heads towards him. “It was bound to happen eventually and you knew this. You need to tell them the truth.” Konohamaru, sensing he wasn’t a part of this conversation, said his get-well-soons to Menma and swiftly left. Just a split second after Hinata came in, along with Himawari and Sakura (who finally had time to check on her daughter). 

    “What’s going on,” Hinata asked, carrying Hima who looked just as puzzled. “Tsunade-sama came by saying we needed to get here quickly. Did something happen?”

    “We were ambushed on our way to our mission.” Boruto said bluntly, he gestured to Menma, the boy he wasn’t sure he knew anymore. “He got the worst of it.”

    “What!? Naruto-” 

    “It wasn’t his fault, Hinata,” Sasuke said, nothing but calm in his tone. “He didn’t know it was a trap.”

    “And besides,” Sakura chirped, “The boys are perfectly stable now. I made sure of it. How are you feeling?” Menma looked away. She wouldn’t be too chipper in a few minutes.

    “Okay,” he said quietly.

    “Good,” she smiled. God he wished she wouldn’t. He closed his eyes and turned away from them.

    “What's wrong,” Sakura's smile faltered, “are you in pain-”

    “Mom,” Sarada interrupted. “Menma here is called Lord Seventh, Mama.”

    The room went silent before both girls went “Huh!?”