00

18th century
1733

Portugal
Sagres

Wet, cold and a little stormy it was in the coastal town. Natalia had arrived here three days ago and was now waiting for the arrival of a ship from overseas. From Alexandria, a port city that was located in the north of Africa and belonged to Egypt.

Since Natalia was here, she could only describe the weather as terrible. On her first day, it had been raining all day, making it impossible for her to stay outside or explore Sagres. The second day was better in that it was dry at first, she could walk around town without fear of getting sick, but it was cold. Summer was finally coming to an end. The gray days thus began. And as for today. Something was in the air. For hours there was a fog on the sea that did not want to disappear and around noon, the drizzle began.

According to a dockworker's list, which Natalia had leafed through while the man went to take a break, just two ships were expected to arrive today. One from Panama, bringing food, and the one she was waiting for.

Time slipped by while Natalia passed the time walking around.

By late afternoon, the time had come. The Mongoose sailed into port, some crates were carried off the ship and the crew, sought out an inn nearby to eat and spend the night.

Long after the night had fallen as well as the air at the port was clear, and Natalia had made sure that there was no one else on board, she scurried aboard the ship.

It was quiet. A good sign. Downright spooky, as the little voice in Natalia's head mocked.

It was certain, because it was not one hundred percent certain, as well as that the crew was completely in the inn, so Natalia crept across the deck to the door where, as a rule, the captain's cabin was located. That the door was locked was to be expected, but a lock was so much easier to open than most believed. It just took the right tools and a little practice. At first it had taken Natalia forever, the metal bars breaking off or bending, but by now, after a few years of practice, it was considerably faster and much easier.

A click told her that the door was open. For a few minutes Natalia remained in her position, listening, and when nothing was heard, neither footsteps nor voices, she looked over her shoulder and then carefully and as quietly as she could, opened the wooden door.

Immediately Natalia closed the door behind her and hurried over to the desk near the large window, where she opened all the drawers and began to search. Nothing. Hastily she looked up, went to a cabinet on the wall, on which there was a bronze-colored figure of a Kraken, and looked through the documents inside. Between the pages of the logbook, was a small book bound in leather.

"Too late," in the same second that Natalia heard the voice, she spun around, drew her pistol and pointed the weapon at the white-haired man standing in the doorway, looking at her unimpressed, "He's dead."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Natalia replied sweetly, raising the book, "I just want this."

"And the book will lead you to the God of the Sea," at these words Natalia lowered the gun and sadness settled on her face, "He was faster, besides I got to experience a surprise. What would you have been looking for? A man or a woman? Certainly not an octopus the size of a dozen ships."

fourth life