2. First night out

Two small lamps delivered warm light to the room from the small white vanity where a variety of cosmetics were laid out. A young woman sat in front of the mirror, looking at her friend through her reflection, and she stared back at her, mouth agape as she stopped combing her long and wavy brown hair.

"What?" Alissa whispered, not blinking.

Madeline sighed, "As I said--"

"I heard what you said!" Alissa huffed and came in front of Madeline who sat still in her chair, "I mean... I want to congratulate you on getting the job but... I also don't..." the blonde bit her lip.

"What? Why? I thought you'd be happy..." Madeline frowned, now curious as to why was her friend shocked at first but was worried now.

Alissa sat on the small stool by the vanity, let out a quiet sigh, and then looked up at her friend again, "When you told me that you applied for that job and will go to the interview, I secretly hoped you won't pass... I didn't want to scare you but..." Alissa paused, biting her lips and looking up at her friend, "Do you know that the royals search for a new tutor every couple of months?" Alissa asked and Madeline shook her head slightly, "And do you know the reason why? It's because those people who come to teach, both men and women, can't handle those siblings!" Alissa raised her voice but calmed down fast, continuing her story, "The twins are a handful of trouble - they're either late or don't show up for the class at all. When they do attend the class, the tutor doesn't even teach - it's constant shouting and bickering among themselves and competition between the children as to who can tease the teacher more. They only settle down when their father and mother come to check on them. And don't even think that complaining to the king or queen about their children's behavior would help you. Many tried that approach and were instantly kicked out of the castle, losing their job on the spot," Alissa talked, noticing how frightened Madeline's expression became, "And then we have Prince Christopher..." Alissa sighed and stood up from the stool, walking around the room with a frown on her face.

"What? What about him?" Madeline asked carefully but loud enough for Alissa to stop and turn to her, frowning big. Alissa marched and grabbed her friend by the shoulders, almost shaking her wildly.

"I lived in this town long enough to witness his crude and despicable behavior towards women, which he has no problem of displaying. Yet..." Alissa let go of Madeline's shoulders and started walking around the room again, "Girls swarm around him like flies. Let me tell you - he once tried flirting with me too!" Alissa chuckled but became serious fast, "Yeah, I was taken by his sweet words and flirtatious nature but seeing him being like that with every girl in the room made me almost throw up. So, if he approaches you tonight, don't be stupid and believe his compliments and gentle touch."

"He will be there?" Madeline asked, the thought of the rude prince upsetting her stomach.

"Of course! Prince Christopher never misses the Friday masquerade," Alissa came behind Madeline, taking her long and soft brunette hair in her hands again and carefully moving the brush through it, "Though, he's not attending on his own free will," Alissa shrugged and Madeline got curious. They locked eyes in the mirror again. "He's bored most of the time, sitting in his chair on the pedestal while the others dance. Masquerade is the king's idea for the royals and other nobles to mingle with the common world and His Royal Highness apparently doesn't like it - he's basically forced to go. However, he likes it because of variety of girls he gets to choose one from..."

"What if he recognizes me?" Madeline asked, staring at Alissa through the mirror, getting nervous jitters roaming through her body. "I don't want to go... now that you told me all of that.."

The blonde woman smiled and patted Madeline's shoulders, "You will go and you won't be alone - I'm here. Also... leave the disguise to me."

‿︵‿︵‿୨ ୧‿︵‿︵‿