4. First day at the new job

"Hey, Maddie! Madeline! Hey!" Alissa kept shouting, shaking her friend from her slumber. Madeline frowned, mumbling something and turning around. But Alissa continued to shout: "Wake up! It's your first day working at the castle! You have to get ready!"

Hearing these accented words, Madeline sat up in her bed as if someone poured a bucket of ice-cold water on her. Her eyes were wide, her hair messy, and her breathing rigid.

"What is the time?" Madeline asked and Alissa raised an alarm clock at her.

"It's 7:05. You have to be at the castle in less than 30 minutes!" Alissa said and from there on out, chaos broke down in Madeline's room.

Both girls were running around. Madeline washed her face and brushed her teeth fast, putting on her clothes next. Alissa helped her tighten the bun and make sure that Madeline had everything needed before she left the house. Their chaos was interrupted by knocking on the front door. Alissa went to open it and saw an older man, dressed in an elegant uniform.

"Good morning, miss, I'm Stephan, the royal coachman. Is Miss Madeline Simmons ready?" the man asked and Alissa glanced over his shoulder. Seeing the elegant black carriage, she smiled back at the man, excusing herself.

The blonde woman ran back to Madeline's room, "The royal carriage is here!" Alissa shouted, startling her friend who just finished packing her bag, "They sent a coachman to get you."

Madeline could breathe easily again. She was scared that she'd have to run to the castle and, given the distance, she'd need more than 30 minutes to get there. Luckily, the carriage will get her to the castle in less than 10.

Alissa smiled and came into the room, hugging her friend tightly and wishing her good luck on her first day at the new job of being a royal tutor.

It was September 1st and Madeline never felt more ready than now.

‿︵‿︵‿୨ ୧‿︵‿︵‿

Madeline's breath was taken away yet again as the carriage entered the castle's premises, passing by the precisely managed gardens, with flowerbeds still in bloom. The greenery surrounding the castle, as well as the blue sky in the back, made the white castle stand out and capture the eye of the viewer. She admired the scenery in the same awe as on the day she arrived for the interview.

The carriage stopped in front of the castle's large entrance stairway and, to Madeline's surprise, royal advisor William Adler opened the carriage door, offering his gloved hand out to her.

"Good morning, Miss Simmons," the old man said, his raspy voice tickling her ears as he guided her out of the carriage.

"Good morning, Sir Adler," Madeline replied, slightly bowing and raising her skirt to the older man.

The old advisor instructed her to follow him inside as the young male servant helped to carry Madeline's books, walking behind the two. Madeline pushed the glasses up her nose, looking around as they walked down the long hallway.

Paintings of the royal family members, past and present, were hung on the burgundy walls, the golden frame accenting each painting. She kept her gaze for a second longer on the painting of a young prince, his fluffy and luscious blond hair matching the color of the dog's fur he posed beside. The cuteness of the painting brought a smile to Madeline's face but she pulled her gaze to look forward again, walking behind the advisor until he stopped at the furthest door at the end of the hallway.

"This is the prince and princess's study room, much smaller than the one you were interviewed in," Advisor Adler commented, grabbing the doorknob. Madeline nodded and he opened the door, revealing to her a well-lit room.