3. Last normal weekend

The last Saturday of August came around with strong morning sun. Sun rays shone through thin curtains and directly on Madeline's exposed legs. She frowned and grumbled in her sleep, wanting to rest just a little bit more. But the warmth that filled the whole room slowly reached her consciousness, waking her up. She mumbled something again and kicked the cover off of her body. Calming down, she slowly opened her eyes, taking a deep breath of suffocating warm air. She raised her right arm and looked at her small hand and fingers which Prince Christopher held in his large one just a little bit more than seven hours ago.

Madeline, going under the name of Liliana at the masquerade ball last night, danced with the kingdom's eldest prince for almost the whole night. She felt uncomfortable for lying to him, but he didn't want to let her go after witnessing her dance firsthand. He never again mentioned Hyunjin. He was, actually, speechless most of the time, which was a good thing as Madeline didn't want to have to make up more lies and engage in an awkward conversation with the prince. He didn't talk but his eyes were on her for the whole night, making her struggle to breathe and avert her gaze from him.

And, although she was feeling uneasy with Prince Christopher, once the music started and her legs moved, Madeline forgot about her worries as well as who was her dance partner. There was always that special "something" in the music and the feeling that took over her once she started dancing. That "something" was making her mind clear and her body light as a feather as she got pulled into the music and the dance, thinking only about that and nothing else.

For the first time in two years, she felt joyful, not wanting to step away from the dance floor. Madeline was so immersed in dancing that only when she would turn her head, she'd realize who was she dancing with. And when their eyes finally met, the prince smiled and commented on her smile and lovely facial expression she had when dancing, his words making her heart race even though she didn't want that - Prince Christopher had that captivating aura and mellow voice she had trouble escaping from.

Madeline couldn't deny it - even though she promised Alissa not to believe every kind word that the prince told her, she couldn't deny that his compliments made her feel special, especially when he whispered to her while they danced, holding her close, grips both on her hand and the small of her back warming her up. And she secretly wanted more.

That warmth, however, disappeared when he excused himself, leaving the ball around midnight. He left her gasping for air, her body and breath feeling hot, and her heart panging against her ribcage.

Remembering her dancing with Prince Christopher, his hold on her body, and his gentle smiling face from last night along with his husky voice whispering compliments to her, Madeline grunted and covered her face with a pillow that was laying beside her head, screaming her lungs into the soft feather stuffing. She couldn't let herself act this way! She absolutely couldn't afford to develop any sort of feelings towards the prince, the man she just met! Especially since she faked her identity and will start tutoring his siblings in two days.

The image of excited children, cheeky Princess Hannah and younger Prince Lucas, occupied her mind and Madeline took the pillow off of her face. She was now wide awake, staring at the old ceiling. She took a deep breath, remembering what Alissa told her about the siblings. They surely didn't look like mischievous kids who would pull pranks on their tutor - they were honestly excited about wanting to hear the legends about Madeline's hometown. Princess Hannah even gave her a nickname.

Were the kids honest? Or were they faking their excitement and happiness? Was their friendly behavior towards her just a mask and a lie to lure the clueless young teacher into their trap?

Madeline's head started hurting from all these questions and doubts so she hit the bedding with her legs and sprung up, jumping off the bed to open the window and release the stressful atmosphere she created this early in the morning.