10. Caught in a lie

Day after day, class after class, meal after meal, Madeline slowly got used to living, eating, and tutoring in the castle. She especially enjoyed the free leisure time she would often spend in the library - reading some of the greatest and rarest novels or study books - or outside - playing and laughing with the children.

She wrote a letter to Alissa, telling her all about the old house the owners ordered to be taken down and their abrupt decision to move her out. But she also wrote that after feeling nervous and out of place, she adjusted to life in the royal castle.

Knowing what interested Alissa the most, Madeline wrote about the eldest prince's birthday ball and her meeting his close friends but, to Alissa's disappointment, didn't expand her relationship with any of those eight men.

It was the last week of October and the autumn festival started with the official start of the fall season yet the ball was to be held at the end of November. That schedule gave Madeline enough time to teach Princess Hannah the elegant ballroom dance without fear that the prince would see through her Liliana disguise since he was still away for his travels.

Given how much fun Princess Hannah had by being taught ballroom dance by Madeline, Prince Lucas also wanted to take her classes so their dance teacher was, unfortunately for her, dismissed from teaching them further. But, to Madeline's luck, her payment was doubled.

The needle reached the end of the vinyl record, ending the song. Princess Hannah huffed and stepped away from Madeline, seeing the pleasant smile spread across the tutor's face.

"That was good, Your Highness. You will be ready for the ball just in time," Madeline patted Hannah's head and the girl beamed a smile at the teacher, skipping happily to the sofa and plopping down to rest.

"You're a great teacher, Maddie," Hannah grinned, kicking her feet that couldn't reach the floor. "That was amazing."

"You're too kind, Your Highn--"

But Madeline's words were cut short due to the double doors of the ballroom bursting open and the excited boy running inside.

"Hannah!! Maddie!! Look what I got!!" Prince Lucas ran to his sister, hopping on the chair and showing a small box to his sister.

"Wow!" the princess's eyes widened when the young prince pulled out a well-designed miniature car figurine.

"And there's more. Look!" he giggled and took a handful of toy cars from the wooden box in different colors and shapes.

"Where did you get those?!" the princess's eyes glimmered.

"Brother gave them to me," Lucas grinned and Hannah pushed her lower lip into a pout.

"Not fair! I want toys as well!" the princess whined.

Madeline's breath caught up in her throat. Her head whipped to the right as she felt his presence. And she was right - at the door, smiling brightly at his siblings and holding a couple of boxes in his hands, all while dressed rather casually in a suit and turtleneck sweater appropriate for the cold autumn weather, stood Prince Christopher all blond, handsome, and powerful.

It had been twenty days since she saw him last and her heart strangely thumped against her chest, making it hard for her lungs to expand and accept any air she pulled in through her nose. Madeline barely knew the prince but would always remember his touch, smile, and captivating aura, the close proximity they shared, and his mellow voice as he spoke to her waking the butterflies in her stomach. That fluttering feeling was addictive, she wanted more of it - she wanted the closeness he had with his friends, to know more about him, but knew that it was impossible - she was just a tutor.