5. Excursion

Madeline's fear of losing her job because she talked back to the royal siblings was completely washed away once she stepped into the study room and saw the royal twins already waiting for her, sitting at their desks each.

"Good morning, Your Highnesses," she bowed, greeting them, wanting to keep her nervousness under control as much as she could.

Straightening up, Madeline was surprised to see the children standing.

"Good morning, Miss Simmons!" they shouted in unison and their loud voices took her aback.

But Madeline nodded and they sat back. She climbed the steps and stood on the podium, putting her bag on the floor by the desk. But then Prince Lucas raised his hand and Madeline nodded, permitting him to speak.

"Hannah got scolded last night!" he announced and Madeline's eyes widened, immediately looking at the princess.

"Lucas, you little rat! I'll kill you for snitching!" Hannah hissed at her brother but he just shrugged and leaned back in his chair.

"I am terribly sorry that has happened to you, Your Highness," Madeline sighed, looking at Hannah with her eyes and face showing sorrow and compassion.

"Spare me," Hannah rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

"My princess..." Madeline began again, coming down from the pedestal and crouching down next to Hannah's desk, "I am not your enemy," she spoke softly and the girl finally looked at her, still keeping her frown strong and protective guard up, "I am here to help you learn about many different things. I don't want to impose myself on you but..." she paused, taking Hannah smaller hand and placing it between hers. 

The princess was surprised by that gesture, her frown easing up as she watched Madeline's warm smile with wide eyes. 

"I want to help you as much as I can, be it in lectures or... in life," Madeline shrugged but then giggled, "I know that sounds a bit pretentious as if I'm moving too fast in this teacher-student relationship but a teacher is there to help her students overcome obstacles not only in learning but in life lessons too. How about this...?" Madeline tapped Hannah's hand before releasing it and standing up. 

She came between two desks, looking at both children, "At snack time today, let's not bicker. Instead," she turned to pull out a stash of papers from her leather bag. She waved them around, smiling big, "I intended to show you this yesterday but we didn't have time."

"What is it?" Lucas asked, already excited.

"These are some of the stories I remembered being read to me when I was still in the orphanage. I wrote them down for you," Madeline spoke and both children's mouths gaped open, "If we finish our lectures early, we can have enough time to read these."

"Oh, yes! I want that!" Lucas stood up from his chair, running out of his desk to hug Madeline, "Maddie, you're the best! Right, Hannah?"

Madeline and Lucas looked at the lone princess who seemed to have returned to reality, turning her gaze to the side. Madeline noticed a faint blush on the young princess's cheeks.

"F-fine... whatever..." Hannah pouted and her brother rejoiced, returning to his desk now eager to start the lecture.

‿︵‿︵‿୨ ୧‿︵‿︵‿

"Finished!" Lucas raised his arm, smirking victoriously. Hannah stuck out her tongue at him.

"I'm finished too," the princess spoke and Madeline stood up from her chair, coming down to take their papers.

She examined their progress on the new math problem she gave them.

"Hmm..." Madeline sighed, looking at Lucas's paper, "Prince Lucas," she stepped to him, putting the paper back on his desk and pointing at the numbers, "You missed a step here but overall, you got the right answer. Next time, take it slow and don't rush or you might stumble and get everything wrong."