Chapter 8

I gave out a loud groan as I started pacing back and forth around the campsite, gripping my hair, tugging on it as I started to stress out. I don't understand. Did they just leave me? Again?! No, no, no that can't be, I frantically looked around the campsite to try to find clues on where my 'buddy' went off. Noticing how their bag was gone, no footsteps were to be found.

Why did they just leave me?! Did they realize that I was annoying??? That it was a wrong idea to tag along with me? This doesn't make sense. After their repetitive and persistent pestering on how I should leave Slender only for them to just up and leave me here.

"GRUUAH"

I let my arms hang loosely near my sides, slouching a bit as I grumbled, feeling myself twitch. This is why I shouldn't have trusted them, why did I even ask them to come along? I barely even know them so why am I getting all riled up over them? I readjusted my mask that was hanging from my face and covered my face up. Pulling it over my nose to shield it from the cold air.

I turned around and went straight towards my bag, grabbing the strap and about to slung it onto my shoulder until I realized that they left their blanket right where I was sleeping. I stared at it, soon spotting that there was this crumbled sweater right where I most definitely laid my head.

'Wha-'

*rustle* *rustle*

I quickly faced the noise, feeling my body tense up. Seeing EJ who was looking down at their shoes slowly walk towards me with their bag in hand. They were humming to themselves until abruptly stopping once they looked up, seeing me. They waved at me, walked past me, and kneeled next to the dirty blanket and crumbled sweater.

I simply stared at them, observing them as they grabbed the blanket and started brushing on it, waving it up and down to get off any of the dirt from the forest floor. They didn't leave me?

"Hey"

They looked up from folding the blanket and waved at me.

"Yo-you were gone w-*pop*-hen I woke up."

They nodded, holding up a finger as they grabbed the folded blanket and tucked it inside their bag, rustling around it for a bit until they took out their notepad and pen.

'I went to clean some of my stuff at this river that was nearby. I would have woken you up but I saw you were still sleeping so I let you be.'

They looked back down and gently smoothed out the sweater, brushing any dirt from it.

"So you just went *pop*  and came back."

They nodded

"Huh"

They looked at me, tilting their heads a bit. Picking up their notepad and scribbling, 'Why? Did you think I left you?'

"Pfft, no. N-no, I didn't, I was just wond-wondering."

——————————

And back we were on the road, walking alongside the path. I had the map held out in front of me. Trying to see where I was and if I was even following the road I'm supposed to go. I groaned in frustration as I tried to prevent myself from crumbling up the paper.