Waiting for the Storm

Imladris was on edge. They knew an invasion was imminent from Angmar but did not know when. Elrond's spies reported daily, but no signs could be seen of Angmar's armies on the march. That they would come was inevitable, they could only pray for time.

Legolas was growing homesick and he grew more eager by the day to return home. Thranduil's pleas for his son's return had now turned to orders. Legolas must return to the Greenwood, and if possible, bring Celebriel with him.

What would Glorfindel have to say about that, Legolas wondered. The Elf Lord from the Blessed realm desired the hand of Celebriel, almost as much as he did. The Lord and Lady favored the match, but Celebriel would have none of it. She had no interest in a betrothal, to anyone, and that frustrated both Legolas and his rival.

Legolas was gently pressing his suit, but he and Glorfindel knew that Celebriel would not countenance competition for her hand. One thing existed for her and one thing only, returning to Lorinand when Amroth departed from Middle Earth and taking up the rule of Lorinand.

"Why?" asked Legolas. He and Celebriel had been arguing and he challenged her, asking her why she thought Amroth would hand over his kingdom to her.

"Because Nimrodel will not marry him or give him children while they remain in Middle Earth. She watched his father march off to the war with a host of elves and few returned. She's seen the wars and strife here and wants to raise her children where they can dwell in peace.

"Amroth was greatly grieved when his father died, and angry. That is among many reasons why they both hate the Noldor. I am sure that she was instrumental in convincing him to evict them. They were angry when Mother and Father sent me to Imladris, I am sure it was not long after that they made up their minds to expel them. Amroth will not leave until he is ready and Nimrodel is willing to wait.

"He's made me his heir, I am the one he wants to guide and watch over Lorinand when he is gone. I promised him that I will do my best to keep Lorinand safe and he knows I will keep my word.

"All I want to do is return home, home to Lorinand. I belong there and nowhere else. I want to walk beneath the branches of the mallorns when they bloom in the spring. I want to smell the elanor and niphredil as they bloom in the grass. I would leave now if I were allowed, but I know if I tried, Elrond would send someone to bring me back whether I wanted to or not.

One evening he found her near a little bridge over a brook. He wanted to say something, but she seemed pensive, caught up in her own thoughts. At last, she turned around and spoke.

"Legolas, I was hoping I would see you, we need to talk."

"Yes, we do, lady," he replied in a solemn voice. "Father has commanded that I return home. He does not want me caught up in the coming war. He has asked that you return with me, to keep you safe."

"I cannot go, but I was hoping that you would do something for me," she said.

"What would you have me do?" he suspected what it was but said nothing.

"Elrond will have to send me to Lorinand if he wishes Amroth's help. Can you imagine what the reply would be if he sent Glorfindel or Gildor, or any other of his household? Elrond would be a fool if he underestimated Amroth's hatred. He would not care if Angmar destroyed Imladris, the only thing he would see spared is me.

"Did you know that Mother and Father tried to convince him to let them rule Lorinand? They would have usurped his rule were it not for the fact that Amroth is stronger than they thought and popular with his people. It was shortly afterward that Mother, Father, and the Noldor left. They were no longer welcome if they ever were, so why should they stay?"