Meeting in the Greenwood

It was early in the spring, but the elves of the Greenwood were hunting deer for Thranduil's table. The deer were still lean from the deprivations of winter, but some of the young stags had fared better than the others and possessed sufficient meat on their haunches to provide a suitable meal.

The hounds ran ahead, baying, and the elves followed on foot, laughing and calling as they went along. A hunt, after a long winter's wait, was a cause for celebration.

A young buck had been separated from his companions, and the hounds were close on his heels. Celebriel nocked an arrow and let it fly, finding with satisfaction that she had hit the exact point on the back of his neck that brought him down. Legolas reached the deer before her and cut its throat, and soon it lay still on the ground.

He felt the taut muscles of her arm, "You are a good shot, perhaps even as good as me. Who taught you how to use a bow with such skill?"

"Haldir, of the army of the Golden Wood," she replied, "He used to make me practice until my arm was sore, but now I'm glad he did. I have tried to practice every day since I left Lorinand, I do not wish for my skills to wither away from lack of use."

"Then you shall practice with me, perhaps not every day, but I promise it will be often. I trust he also taught you to use a sword?"

"Yes, but he was not the first," she said dreamily, "Glorfindel of Elrond's house taught me. I went with Celebrian to Imladris for her marriage to Elrond. I prefer the bow because you do not need to be close to your target, but a sword comes in handy when you run out of arrows."

"I imagine it does," he laughed, "For myself, I prefer a knife. Tell me, would it surprise you to learn that some women in the Greenwood, though not many, fight alongside the men?" He smiled at the look on her face, "Yes," he said, "It's true. Not many choose to, but it is not forbidden here." No wonder you were so unhappy in Imladris, he thought, not to be able to follow your passion."

She lowered her head and said, "The Noldor do not allow women to fight, and I do not know why. We can be killed by the sword so why are we not taught how to defend ourselves with one? Amroth encouraged me to learn all I could. My parents never did but knew it was hopeless to try to stop me if I was determined. I knew my cause was hopeless, so I took refuge with the army, or with Amroth and Nimrodel. My mother would chastise me for not spending time with her and my father, but I didn't care."

And would you really have given me Finrod's sword, Mother, or was that only another lie?

Legolas took her hand and squeezed it. "I am sorry that it was so hard for you, but perhaps you do not give your parents enough credit. They always want what's best for you, but it takes time for any parent to understand when a beloved child's aspirations prove to be different from what they had hoped. But be of good cheer! You are here now, and no one will try to hinder you from following what you believe is your true path!"

She looked at him, tears in her eyes, and smiled. What did those tears mean, he thought, does she regret having fought her parents, or that she chose to leave Imladris so quickly, or what? She is not so easy to read on one hand, but on the other, she makes it so clear what she wants. She is still young, and her future is open and surely not yet determined. I think Father may be right, she will find our home a welcome refuge and may for a time not be so eager to leave.

The Elves sat on the ground and drank red wine as the stewards dressed the deer, preparing to bring it back to Thranduil's kitchens. The entrails had been removed and given to hounds who were now greedily devouring them. But suddenly, one stopped eating and lifted his head, listening. He began to howl and soon the others had abandoned their treat and were howling in a chorus with them.