Winter Was Coming

Autumn was slowly fading, and Celebriel was dismayed to see how quickly winter was coming. The leaves began to fall more quickly and even in the shelters of Imladris, the leaves fell quickly from the trees. She could not help but think of how the golden clusters of leaves would still cling to the mallorn branches. The autumn in Lorien would be delightfully cool, not this cold that seemed to permeate her bones.

In the morning the eaves of Elrond's house were rimed with frost, along with tree branches, stones, and blades of grass. By noon the frost would be gone, but each morning it appeared anew, and soon began etching delicate designs on the window panes. The horses were now blanketed, keeping them warm and the hounds had moved into the house, sleeping before the fireplaces.

Celebriel watched out the window, fascinated by the picture nature had painted, yet wishing she were home. The fire banked in the fireplace of Elrond's study, and silver mugs held mulled wine that helped warm her. The whole of Imladris seemed to be preparing for a winter's hibernation, for the elves were spending more time inside since the first frost.

"Have you waited long?" Elrond came into the room and sat down. He picked up the mug and had a long drink of wine. "I am surprised that you come and see me, I had half expected that you would ignore me."

"And I had half expected that I might, it is only that I am bored that I show up for our little meetings. After this, I will ride, then bathe and dress for the mid-day meal. After that, I will not know what to do with myself, as is usual. You and Mother took me away from all that I was accustomed to, but have given me nothing to replace it."

"We had thought to keep you out of harm's way..." he began, but she cut him off.

"Was I in such great danger? I am aware of what was hunting me. Did Mother ever tell you I could discern her thoughts? I did not wish to, but at times it seems our minds were as one. I will concede this since I came north, the hunter no longer bothers me. My thoughts are my own and no one is seeking to discover them.

"I was born under the influence of her ring. I perceived it, I saw it shining brightly as a star in the twilight. I see Vilya on your finger and, Narya on Gandalf's. I don't know if I've been given a blessing or a curse. I would gladly relinquish this if I could, I wish I had no knowledge of your precious rings. All I've ever wanted to be Celebriel of Lorinand, and then one day, perhaps, Celebriel, a leader of Lorinand's armies. Now I don't know who I am or what I am to be."

"That will come in time," Elrond tried to soothe her, "But you cannot reject what you are, and you should not. Whether you have been given a gift or a curse will be for you to determine, not me, not your mother. Now, if you wish to ride, you should do so. I smelt snow in the air this morning which means that riding will soon not be possible."

It was not the next day, but the next week that the snow began to fall. At first, it was just a blanket covering the ground, but soon it was reaching nearly up to the horses' hocks. The young elves dressed up warmly, Arwen joining them, and played in the snow like children, throwing snowballs and making statues of snow.

A bell began ringing, too soon for the afternoon meal. "There is someone in distress," Elladan lifted his head, "There must be travelers lost in the snow. It will be worse in the wildlands. Come, Celebriel, come with us, we will help look for them."

"Does this happen often?" she asked as they hurried towards the house. She would not be allowed to accompany them, but the twins would manage to include her.

"Too often, I am afraid," Elrohir said gravely, "Travelers get caught by surprise, or they underestimate the snow and find themselves lost or trapped."

"Why are they this far east, especially during winter? Imladris seems so isolated, and close to the mountains for any travelers to be here."

"Because there is travel between the kingdoms of the men of Westernesse. The men from Gondor come over the mountains to visit their kin in the west, or they come from Rhovanian to travel to Gondor. You truly have been isolated, aunt, I thought you knew more about the kingdoms of Men."