Getting Her Way

Peach woke up later a little groggy, but feeling a lot better than before. Then she moved her hands and felt the ropes. Again. A low groan as she remembered the events of the day. Suddenly she heard the shuffle from before, when she'd formally met her captor.

"Are you there, Bowser?" she called out. She got a grunt in reply, and was comforted and terrified by the familiarity of the voice. "Did you take care of your castle?"

"It was obliterated, actually," Bowser growled. "Someone blew it up. Apparently, they're looking for you. I've had to set up my forces in all areas my castles reside in."

Peach's eyebrows raised. "Do you know who did it?" she asked.

Bowser stepped forward again, pulling a large stool with him. He settled it and sat down on it. His thick fingers ran through his red hair in frustration.

"I've been told it's some guy named Mario," he grumbled, then raised a brow as she gasped and tried not to smile in response. "You know him, don't you?"

"He's my best friend," Peach answered after swallowing her excitement. "I've known him for forever. I didn't know he was capable of destroying a castle, though. I can't believe he's coming to save me!"

Bowser scowled. "He's going to be dead by then. I've sent out my best men."

Peach faltered. "Did...did you say-"

"Yeah. I did," Bowser interrupted. Then he tipped his head to the side. "What? Not expecting your little hero to get the same treatment anyone who tries to defeat me gets? Or are you just scared that he's going to be killed before he comes to save you?"

"Stop it!" Peach shouted. "That's not fair! He's only trying to help me!"

Bowser raised an eyebrow, and brought his head back to its former position. "Oh, really? You'd rather be helped than stay here with me?"

"I'm tied up in a chair above lava that will melt off my skin, what do you think?!" Peach retorted, her voice more and more shrill with each word.

"No need to shout, Peach," the Koopa King chuckled. His humor had returned at her mix of anger and fear, it seemed. "I'm right here." He spread his arms out wide. Peach looked at his skin without thinking, noting how strangely soft it looked.

"That's why I'm shouting," Peach replied with a smirk.

Bowser pulled in his arms again and crossed them. "You've got a mouth on you," he commented, leaning back and putting his arms behind his head, resting his right leg on his knee. "That, unfortunately, won't help you too much."

"I'm not scared of you," Peach growled, her anger - which she couldn't quite explain then - was overwhelming her. "I know Mario's going to get past those stupid defenses of yours and he's going to get me out of here." Her eyebrows furrowed dangerously, her eyes glowing.

Bowser mirrored her expression, a dark expression overcoming his previous amused look. He leaned over, both feet planting themselves on the ground, and both hands resting on his knees. His fingers faced each other on his legs as he leaned in closer, his voice reaching a low, almost terrifying sound.

"Listen here, Peach," he growled, baring his teeth. Princess Peach recoiled slightly. "I've got you here, in my castle, tied to my chair with my rope. You're going to understand that and get it through your head, got it?" Peach didn't nod, but snorted slightly in response. He growled, and earned a nod (with a poorly contained eye roll). "And I'm going to sit in here with you." This was said with the most arrogant and frustrating smirk.

"What are you talking about?" Peach demanded, her voice wavering. Was he really going to stay in that one room with her? "Don't you have your own kingdom to run?"