Chapter 6

• • •

• • •

"I'll tell you my sins, and you can sharpen your knife,

Offer me that deathless death."

• • •

Walking into the church, Harry looked over her shoulder, checking if any unwanted guests had followed her. The low lighting of the church made for an uncanny atmosphere as Harry strolled up the aisle to the third row where Leeroy sat. 

"You're late," he spoke out in an impatient tone.

"No need to get antsy, Leroy. It's just a building. If he was going to punish you for your sins, I'm sure four walls wouldn't stop him." I chuckled out, causing him to hum in reply. 

"You look like death" He broke the short silence, changing the tone.

"Gee, thanks boss," we both let out a light chuckle.

"You know, my boy; there isn't much I can do for you. If the Peaky Blinders want you, there's no stopping them. Do you want my suggestion? Disappear for a few weeks, go to the seaside or something? Once you're back, I'll have a job for you, like the good times."

Some help he was, Harry thought to herself. She wasn't going to try pleading with him as there was no use; there's no changing a mind like Lee's. She stood up and walked out of the church with a sigh, leaving him to his thoughts. She knew Lee was right. The best thing to do was vanish before they caught up to her again. 

• • •

Harry walked along the cut, watching the water ripple. A holiday at the seaside; she thought over the idea and concluded it was the only thing for it. Aye, it could be a lot worse, she mused.  

She came to a halt, in a trice, as a cold cylinder pressed against the back of her head. Can a girl, not get a break? Without a second to think, Harry sent her elbow up, hitting her attacker's arm, knocking the gun out of their hand as she spun around; instincts kicked in, sending a clenched fist straight at the person's face. 

Harry was suddenly grabbed from behind by a second attacker, arms wrapping around her, causing her to wriggle, kicking out, trying to get free. A punch was thrown, connecting with Harry's nose as she groaned out in pain, intensified from her already bruised face. 

But that wouldn't stop her; she thought as she sent a kick back into the man who stood behind her, causing him to topple forwards, falling on top of her with his grip still firm on her small frame.

She landed roughly on the gravel ground, face near the water's edge, lost for breath from the forceful impact of the man landing on top of her.

With a scuffle, her attacker grabbed ahold of her neck, submerging her head in the water, causing Harry to grapple further, kicking and wriggling, running out of air. Her head broke the surface for a second as she gasped for air before being shoved back under, lungs burning from the shock of the icy cold waters. After a few repeated submerges, her head became fuzzy as she grew tired of fighting.

"Alright, that's enough." A deep voice ordered from behind them as she was hauled up from the ground by the two attackers. Head hanging low; she had no strength to look up at who was speaking or where she was being taken. Her luck had finally run out, she thought.