Chapter 14

• • •

• • •

"The enemy's on my trail, my energy unavailable
I'ma tell 'em, Hasta luego"

• • •

Harry walked the back streets of Birmingham, joining on Garrison lane, puffing on a cigarette along the way. She reached the back of the pub, slumping down onto some empty barrels with a sigh.

Placing her cap down next to her, curls clumped and stuck against her forehead. Harry was covered head to toe in blood splatters, yet she seemed unbothered by it as she began casually picking at the dried blood on her hands.

After a few minutes, the pub's back door opened as Arthur swayed out, already intoxicated. Taking one look at Harry, his eyes widened at the state she was in, shocked at her relaxed demeanour.

"It's done." Harry declared, reaching into her pocket for another cigarette. Harry herself was surprised at how numb she felt to what had moments ago happened. Perhaps it was the shock of nearly being killed herself. She decided that would be a detail to leave out. 

"Yeah, I can tell," he finally chuckled in response, still stunned by Harry's blood-stained clothes.

"Come tell Tommy," Arthur added, gesturing for Harry to follow him into the Garrison.

"Uh, Arthur. My clothes?" Harry replied, referring to her blood-drenched clothes.

"People won't talk; if they do, we'll cut their tongues out." He laughed, reentering the pub and leaving Harry with no choice but to follow him.

They manoeuvred through the Garrison and made their way to the private nook. Many people looked up at Harry but quickly glanced away, seeing Arthur Shelby accompanying her. Even knowing that the Peaky Blinders would protect her, she remained cautious, with her eyes fixed on Arthur.

The door to the private nook swung open as Arthur shouted out: 

"John, pour our boy a drink!" With a proud look on his face before retaking his seat alongside Tommy and John. 

Tommy eyed Harry up and down, taking in her appearance as she stood in the doorway. Her white shirt was stained red, with blood splatters on her face and hair, accompanied by her split knuckles. His jaw clenched, realising the danger he had put Harry in. But it was a similar initiation for all the peaky blinders, he mused, pushing the thought out of his mind.

"It's done?" He finally spoke, his ice blue eyes meeting Harry's fiery ambers.

"Yes, Mr Shelby." She replied smoothly, confounding Mr Shelby with her composed front.

"Thomas." He corrected with a chuckle as he gestured for her to sit down and share a drink with them.

• • •

After a drink, Thomas decided it was best for him and Harry to return home and clean up the mess. He had insisted he walk with Harry in case of any 'altercations'.

"Honestly, Mr Shelby, I can get myself back to the house fine," she had insisted.

"And what if you meet a copper while you're covered in blood, ay? If I'm with you, they'll look the other way. And what did I tell you it's Thomas".

"Aye, aye, Mr Shelby," Harry replied with a smirk; half out of habit, half on purpose causing Tommy to shake his head with slight amusement.

"There was a struggle?" Thomas asked, getting back to business. Harry remained quiet; she was almost embarrassed by the hit not going as planned.

"First kill?" He queered again, silence being a good enough answer to the previous question. Harry shook her head 'no'. The questioning ceased as they entered the house.

"Pol, do you have any of John's old clothes?" He asked Polly, who was sitting facing the fire, cup of hot tea in hand.

"Why do you need John's old clothes, Tommy?" She queered before standing up from her seat and turning to face the two. Her mouth fell agape as she took in Harry's bloody appearance.

"Jesus, Thomas. What did you get him to do?" Pol shouted, moving forward, clipping him  around the ear in an instinct to try and protect Harry from whatever her nephew had dragged her into.